Garmin Nuvi 265W trouble shoot help

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by rustyjames48, Sep 13, 2016.

1. rustyjames48

rustyjames48

Hello there!! I need help troubleshooting my Garmin Nuvi 265W.

I just put a new accessory fuse box in my truck for my extra electronics. I attempted to hardwire my Garmin.

I cut the wires and ran the positive wire to the 10amp fuse on the fuse box, and the negative to what I thought was a good ground. I left the little tiny whit wire by itself (I just figured it was a remote wire for the charger, or something that has to do with the red light on the cigarette charger that comes on when you plug it in).

I plugged it in and the GPS showed that is was on battery reserve power. I figured I needed a better ground so I started to move the ground wire, but I forgot to turn the GPS off!! So when I began to mess with the ground wire it sparked a couple times and I heard a noise near where my GPS is, and it sounded like a fuse blowing.

I checked the fuse in the fuse box and it was fine. I then realized the GPS had gone dark so I disconnected the it from the wires and tried to turn it on and it will not turn on.

Now here is my troubleshooting thus far:

I connected the wires back to the original cigarette lighter charger, and the red light on the charger didn't not come on when I plugged it in, and the GPS would not turn on...... I got my multimeter out and put it to the wires and found it read 5 volts. I then opened black rectangle (the place where it converts the wires from the cigarette charger to the connector that goes to the garmin) and I tested both sides of the chip where the positive and negative wires were soldered. They both read 5 volts.

So, it seems like there is sufficient power going to the GPS, but it won't work.

I opened up the Garmin and everything seemed fine to the naked eye.

So, my main questions are:

Do you guys think I ruined the GPS completely?

Are there components inside the GPS I may be able to troubleshoot/test?

Is there a fuse somewhere inside the GPS?

What is that little white wire I saw when exposing the positive and negative wires?

Thank you guys such for reading, and let me know what you think. Anything helps!!

Thank you guys!!

Jimmy

Attached Files:

rustyjames48, Sep 13, 2016
  2. rustyjames48

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Is your Nuvi a 265WT / 265T?, your pictures appear to show a GTM36 / 70 unit, which is a combined 12v to 5v car power supply + radio receiver for traffic data

GTM36.jpg

The upper block in this picture contains a fuse, the 12v to 5v circuity and a LED, the lower unit contains the radio receiver

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 13, 2016
  3. rustyjames48

rustyjames48

I have a nuvi 265w and the charger is gtm 25

rustyjames48, Sep 14, 2016
  4. rustyjames48

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The GTM25 has the same layout, where the 'block' in your pictures is an FM radio receiver used to send traffic data to the nuvi. It looks like the other block with the LED on it is producing 5volts correctly (the LED may be only operative when current is drawn by the Nuvi ). There will be a voltage from the Internal battery in the Nuvi but I wouldn't expect it to get above about 4.2 Volts. There is a fuse in the 'LED block' behind the plunger that goes into the cigarette lighter socket.

Is your truck 24 Volts? I.e. does it have two 12 Volt batteries or a single 24 Volt battery?

As for the Nuvi , as far as I know it doesn't have an internal fuse and it has probably been fed by 12 Volts (or possibly 24 Volts ), it is very unlikely to be fixable

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 14, 2016
Ask a Question