Looking for a good dash mounted GPS that's affordable.

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by MamaBear2016, Sep 17, 2016.

1. MamaBear2016

MamaBear2016

Hi everybody. I'm new to this forum.

I'm self employed, and do work where I drive a route with several stops. I've been using my phone for GPS so far, but can't see where I'm going in real time, without fumbling to get it out of my purse while driving, and if Google Maps messes up, it can be telling me all kinds of stupid things, like "Turn left! Turn right! Make a U turn!" ALL AT ONCE! ( WTF is with Google Maps, anyway? )

So we're thinking of getting a dedicated GPS unit that would dash mount, so we could glance at it in real time, while driving, see where we need to turn next, etc. And MAYBE it wouldn't be as silly as Google Maps?

I see there are some that are self-updating. One big requirement is affordability.

But now that I mention it, and took a look on Amazon, are there units that also have built-in dash cams that are good? Front and rear views? Os is that asking too much? ;)

MamaBear2016, Sep 17, 2016
  2. MamaBear2016

albert

I found an older Magellan Maestro 3100 at a garage sale for $5.00 came with car adapter and a good battery with a sturdy OE windshield mount. Works well, lets me view where I'm going, has POI's, can perform routing, etc.

If cost is a factor take a look on eBay or other site. There's plenty of used gps units (Magellan and others) with ~3 to ~7 inch screens.

Another option might be a unit like this one with gps maps and navigation. I don't really know anything about them other than see them for sale online.

For around $150.00 you can get a gps navigation unit with map and 7" touch screen along with all the other features such as WiFi, Bluetooth, DVD connect, connect to rear view camera, connect to Android 5.1, etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Touch-Scr...hash=item25df4d4b34:m:mTEyjuPknRlWgWPIaT3_QTA

Under $50.00 http://www.ebay.com/itm/KKMOON-7-HD...896250&hash=item3f6a16f8e3:g:emUAAOSwvzRXyjKc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-7-...317592?hash=item210b49f758:g:9h8AAOSw3gJZH7qG

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    albert, Sep 29, 2017
  3. MamaBear2016

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If you look at Garmin Satnavs you need to make sure it has a feature called 'Trip Planner', this option provides 'Multiple Routing', so you can have list of places to visit and the Satnav will either keep them in the order you enter them or re-order them so that you travel the shortest distance, units that don't have 'Trip Planner' will only take in a Start and End point and Auto-Route all the roads in between

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 30, 2017
  4. MamaBear2016

albert

You might also want to take a look at some of the other features that may or may not come with gps nav units. More modern units have more features.

For now I'm addressing Magellan units as that's the brand of gps nav units I currently own.

I haven't ever owned any of the vehicle gps nav units in the past. I purchased new years ago a handheld unit, Magellan Meridian Gold that come with mapping software where one could create and download maps. One could create some very large areas such as state or multiple sate size. It worked well when hiking but I also used it to navigate in a vehicle while on and off-road

http://www.gpsinformation.net/mgoldreview/mag-gold.htm

My other equipment used for gps navigation is a rugged laptop with Delorme Topo installed. I found gps mapping running on a laptop is good while traveling longer distances and also when off-road in the forests and wildernesses. The laptop with a larger screen allows one to obtain a better perspective and overview of where ones going or needs to go. Currently I have Topo North America 10.0 installed which has topo and street maps (with elevation data, pois, trails, etc.) of the entire North America (lower 48, Canada & AK) and also Mexico. Map on screen can be displayed either 2D or 3D. It has lots of features such as routing, etc. Also there is USGS map database I added that has older USGS maps with information that's difficult to find on newer maps.

There are other good gps navigator brands out there all with pros and cons.

My current gps vehicle nav units:

Maestro 3100 3.5" LCD (older unit, works ok for basic navigation, can create and store addresses and pois, which are limited)

Roadmate 2036T-LM 4.3" LCD (another older unit that comes with lifefime map updates)

Maestro 4700 4.7" LCD (older, not a recent unit 4.7" screen, has voice recognition and bluetooth for pairing with a cell phone, etc.)

Lifetime map updates can be beneficial if you need to keep the road map and pois more recent.

Looking at some of the older Magellan Maestro and Roadmate series gps units. There's some differences between Maestro and Roadmates such as different features.

This article goes into some differences between the two.

http://www.differencebetween.info/difference-between-maestro-and-roadmate

"Both the devices use the Nokia’s Navteq navigational maps"
    "The most common difference between the two is that Maestro is believed to be a better option for off-road settings, while RoadMate is more suited for road navigation."

_____ Voice recognition _____

Some of the Maestro and Roadmates are able to accept voice commands, when voice recognition is enabled there usually is a limited number of voice commands (at least with older models) The Maestro 4700 includes several basic voice commands.

Home, Where Am I?, Nearest Restaurant, Nearest Restaurant by <type>, Display Map, Done, Main Menu, Help, etc. The above commands will have variations such as instead of "Where Am I?" will accept - "Display location", "Display current location", "I’m lost" and "Current position"

Some reviews of the Maestro 4700 showed it was weak in voice recognition and could use some improvements. However I think perhaps because it's an older model you may need to speak into to it in a certain way.

Voice recognition is continual improving, newer units may have some of the bugs worked outs and more commands. A good voice recognition device allows for a device to learn a particular user's voice. I'm not certain about whether or what gps nav units have voice learning capabilities unless it's built-in and learns a particular voice without the user being aware.

Magellan website usually has a pdf file with a list of voice recognition commands their units with voice recognition.

_________ cell phone pairing capabilities __________

Another thing that may come in handy is to be able to pair with your cell phone via bluetooth. Some phones have better compatibility and capabilities when paired with devices than others.

With bluetooth pairing capabilities you can pair you cell phone to answer and receive calls. Some models this is done from phone menu on the the touch screen. I'm uncertain but assume later gps navigation units may have voice recognition phone control commands.

Pairing your cell phone with the gps unit allows for hands free operation. If your gps nav unit includes voice commands for a paired cell phone this would be even better.

The Maestro 4700 when paired with a cell phone has phone menus from a pop-up screens to e.g. receive a call, to end a call, to redial, dial a number from it's address book or poi, import contacts, call home, manual dialing, speed dialing, Answer a call and enter numbers for automated services, mute, adjust volume & microphone gain.

Perhaps newer nav units have more cell phone pairing features which also depends on the pairing capabilities of a cell phone.

Using a cell phone while driving differs between states and jurisdictions.

e.g.

California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia (plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands) prohibit all drivers from using hand-held cell phones while driving.

If you cell phone is paired wireless to another device you then don't have the cell phone in your hand which is the primary purpose of these use of cell phone in a vehicle laws that vary from state to state. Safety laws keep changing, the last I looked via google some states there is no hand-held ban but there is a ban when texting.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    albert, Sep 30, 2017
Ask a Question