Nuvi 550 won't connect to computer

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Loopie, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Loopie

Loopie

My Nuvi 550 won't connect to the computer. I've tried two different computers and three different cables, so I'm pretty sure it's the GPS. I use it on my motorcycle, so it's probably some combination of the physical abuse and weather. I think it's probably the contacts, so I have two questions:

1. Is there a way to clean/fix the connections to get it to work? It charges no problem.

2. If not, is there a way to download the map updates to the micro SD card (I have a lifetime subscription, but can't use the Garmin web site because it won't connect.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Loopie

Loopie, Aug 5, 2016
  2. Loopie

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Sometimes computers fail to 'see' Satnavs when they are plugged in, especially ones running older operating systems like Windows XP, this is not due to bad connections, it is due to the system failing to react when a device is 'hot-plugged'. See if the unit is detected while running Garmin Basecamp or Mapsource, if these programs can 'see' the unit, the electrical connections are O.K.

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 6, 2016
  3. Loopie

Loopie

The two computers I've tried are Windows 7 and Vista. The computer does not see the unit, therefore the programs can't.

Loopie

Loopie, Aug 8, 2016
Ask a Question