please help me with a task for my 315/320

Discussion in 'Magellan GPS' started by whburling, Sep 18, 2016.

1. whburling

whburling

My property was once surveyed. I would like to walk the boundaries to gain an appreciation of where they are.

Long ago I purchased a Magellan 315/320 for a boat I once owned. I never got a chance to use it.

I would like to use my 315/320 for the boundary task.

I still own my user manual and I did read it.

First...
    I would like to update the firmware. It is difficult to read my firmware version as it flicks by so quickly when I go through the start up sequence. It looks like it is 2.x

I did find newer firmware on Magellan's site, but I could not find instructions on how to update the firmware. I see various allusions to those instructions but have not yet found them myself.
    If it helps, I do own a serial port cable that i can attach to my computer and the garmin.

Second....
    I tried using the compass navigation screen. But it is so so so slow to respond that it is unusable. After the machine was locked onto about 6 satellites, the 315 still took about 15 seconds to respond in any manner and then the response is questionable and not stable. it seems to lock into whatever it thinks was the direction I was going in at the time it responded. I was holding the antenna vertically and walking. I tried holding it horizontally as well. it appears that just standing still does not allow the system to respond at all.

I chose the compass screen as I do not have destination data. I only have bearings and distances on my old survey map. Perhaps I am using the wrong screen?

Perhaps I do not have my compass screen set up correctly so that it responds more quickly.

Any comments people can make that might help me with the two above questions would be appreciated.

whburling, Sep 18, 2016
  2. whburling

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

This model (the 315/320) does not have a dedicated compass module, without this the unit can only determin points of the compass when it is moving, by calculating for example, it is moving towards the North. When the unit is stationary it can't determin points of the compass at all

Your survey map should have at least one reference point (probably a Latitude / Longitude co-ordinate), on it, this / these waypoint(s), can be installed onto your GPS unit as a starting pount for new measurements

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 18, 2016
  3. whburling

whburling

thank you for replying. If I am understanding you correctly, I should be able to find other devices with the search keyword of "dedicated compass module"...is that correct?

whburling, Sep 18, 2016
  4. whburling

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 19, 2016
Ask a Question