The Case of the Disappearing Trail

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Paul, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Paul

Paul

I'm planning a hike in Shenandoah NP -- the Corbin Mountain and Nicholson Hollow circuit. I'm trying to plan the trip using the Topo 24K SE map and Basecamp. I attach a screenshot of my Basecamp screen so you can see my problem.

The NPS description of the route, which I also attach, tells me to travel 3.8 miles on the Corbin Mountain Trail until I come to the Nicholson Hollow Trail. My Appalachian Trail paper map shows this clearly, but as you can see, the digital version shows the Corbin Mountain Trail simply stopping at some point and never connecting to anything.

Is there a fix for this? Is this a common problem? Did some programmer just fall asleep before finishing the trail?

Any thoughts appreciated. (Yes, I know not to rely on a GPS. I am taking a paper map. But I'd like to know what's happening here.

Thanks,
    Paul

Screen Shot 2016-10-07 at 6.39.13 PM.jpg

Attached Files:

Paul, Oct 7, 2016
  2. Paul

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If the maps you are using on your Computer / GPS device do not show the Tracks / footpaths that you want to use then you can't create a 'Route' to download to your GPS unit, because when the GPS unit gets to the end of map's trail it won't know where to go. The only way around this is to create a 'Track' rather than a 'Route', a Track will work because the GPS unit does not rely on the maps installed on the GPS unit at all, it will just plot a string of waypoints, with a streight line between each watpoint, you must add sufficient waypoints to guide a user along the path though, if the path is a mile in a streight line the you only need two waypoints, but if you want to follow a curve or change direction, you must add waypoints to show the change of direction

Alternatively you could have a look at the free to download Open Street Maps of the area, if they have the tracks you require, you can download them to both Basecamp / Mapsource and your GPS Unit :-

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/38.5499/-78.3586

You can download the Virgina area from here :-

http://osm.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de/garmin/generic/20-09-2016/50835fa6e512ec9250492d2851d802ee/

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 8, 2016
Ask a Question