1490.....power plug issue...help..please.

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by willys, Sep 20, 2011.

1. willys

willys

Hi guys, my first distress post.....augh!
    I have a 1490 lmt if I have the lettering correct..?
    I'm using it on my motorcycle and up to now has worked flawlessly. I am a fair weather rider and have ridden across the country using it without fail. Up until now that is. I think the power plug has been compramised as I get a power cord failure message as if it has been unplugged from the vehicles power source.
    I have replaced the power cord twice now and get the same issue so I have ruled out the cord being the problem.
    My question is.....can I hardwire this creature up to a more robust external plug and if so what wires do I need to make it run only. I'm just interested in powering the unit up while on the bike. I don't download maps into it or use the card slot.....hmmm....but when I want to upload new maps I will need the plug to work as original correct?
    So...there is my problem and I know an easy solution, but I'm not always the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to electronics and just calling it a day and buying a new unit. This one works well while under battery power, but that doesn't last long enough for my long distance rides etc.

Sorry to ask so much on my first cry for help, but, can anyone help?
    I can solder and manufacture whatever it takes to get the job done as long as I know what wires do what.

OR....am I best to just go and buy another unit and continue on my way????

AUGH!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

willys, Sep 20, 2011
Ask a Question