50 point error on etrex 35

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Rickstaff, Sep 15, 2022.

1. Rickstaff

Rickstaff

I have an etrex 35 and using basecamp to create a route to hike that has 66 points but when I open it on my device it says it only use 50 points for on road route ( I’m routing an off road route) and cuts out the end of the route .

many help appreciated.

richard

Rickstaff, Sep 15, 2022
  2. Rickstaff

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

There are differences between a Route and a Track, a Route must follow a road / path etc.and it is possible to have a route of hundreds of miles with only two points, this is because the GPS will auto-route in between these two points following the map, if there are other points they force the GPS to auto-route in between supplied points, however this makes the GPSs job harder as 10 points means 10 auto-routes to be plotted, because of this GPSs set a limit on the number points in a Route

A Track is also a series of points but it does not do any auto-routing and it does not follow any map, the jump between each point is always a straight line, because the GPS does not have to do any auto-routing the it can allow many more points in a Track than in a Route, typical maximum numbers of points allowed in a Route are 20 - 50 BUT typical maximum numbers of points allowed in a Track can be 10000

In short you should be creating a Track and not a Route

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 15, 2022
  3. Rickstaff

Rickstaff

Thanks I think it might be because I’m using alerts on garmin to tell me when I’m reaching my waypoints which I think had a maximum of 50 on it ,I’m sure I read a route can have 250 waypoints ( but maybe it’s f50 with alerts ) so will try it later without the alerts .

Rickstaff, Sep 16, 2022
  4. Rickstaff

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Why are you creating a Route ?, a route follows a road and you say "I’m routing an off road route", so there is no road to follow, can you explain why you are not creating a Track ?

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 16, 2022
  5. Rickstaff

Rickstaff

I was just looking at route planning on basecamp and had seen a YouTube video of someone using the etrex 35 for turn by turn navigation on hikes and was seeing how it’s done , I know ( or think if I’m right) that routes will give directions but a track doesn’t but routes can only have 250 waypoints it was 50 error that through me out but I think it’s because of the alerts ( again someone on YouTube put something about it) that caused the problem and tracks can use more points ( 10 or 20 thousand. I haven’t use my garmin much as I’ve been too poorly to go out ( I have ulcerative colitis) but am re looking at it in the hope I get better soon.

Rickstaff, Sep 16, 2022
  6. Rickstaff

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

it is still possible to follow a Track on screen, you won't get directions as such but I can't what descriptions you are expecting when there are little or no map features to show on an off-road hike

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 17, 2022
  7. Rickstaff

Rickstaff

I had seen a YouTube clip from gpstraining ( great site for how to use different devices) where it gave audible alarms when reaching waypoint ect and was trying to get it to work but had them problem but I think I found it and they confirmed it I had a wrong setting I should have had it on direct route then when I get to a location it will ping me I think I had it on a turn by turn ( ie like a car satnav setting ) probably best for riding a bike on the road . From what I can see tracks and routes are a lot of personal preference , although I I also found on tracks I can set an alarm for if I go off course , basically I’m just trying to see what it can do and which suites me but the garmin instructions aren’t that great . Thanks for your help

Rickstaff, Sep 17, 2022
Ask a Question