55LM visibility of extra imagery/topographical info

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Greg Lee, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Greg Lee

Greg Lee

I'm getting a Garmin nuvi 55LM for my wife (who gets lost very quickly). I'm wondering whether there is any point in trying to supplement the map information with additional images or topographical info. (I don't know how to do that, but I've gotten the impression that there are ways to do it.)

There might be some reason to put in more such info if any of it becomes visible on the display as you're driving along, looking at either the where-am-I display or following a route to some destination. However, if you only see it if you enter some special commands, in planning a route perhaps, it would not be helpful to my wife (because she'd never plan a route).

Greg Lee, Nov 20, 2015
  2. Greg Lee

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Most Nuvis have a feature called 'Picture Viewer' that can display both single images and a slide show (typically this is under Tools >> Picture Viewer), all images in a certain folder are viewable when the user selects this option. However this won't do what you want, e.g. display a certain picture automatically when the Nuvi reaches a specific GPS location, although it would be possible for the Nuvi to do this, it is not a feature of any Nuvi that I know of. Also as the 55LM is a budget model, it doesn't even have the 'Picture Viewer' feature unfortunately

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 20, 2015
  3. Greg Lee

Greg Lee

Thanks. That's right -- the picture viewer would not have been useful to me, anyhow. Well, it still looks like a wonderful little device.

Greg Lee, Nov 20, 2015
Ask a Question