595LM Routing Nightmare

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Ray Sherman, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Ray Sherman

Ray Sherman

Took my first trip with my 595LM. I used Basecamp for Mac in which I made 6 different routes due to the 30 waypoint limitation instead of using shaping points. I have many years of experience with my Garmin 276c which was flawless using MapSource. My routes have a combination of expressways, state and county roads. Here's my nightmare..... the 595LM kept re-routing making shortcuts any where from gravel roads to two tracks. It "did not" want to stick to my pre-made route. My preferences are shown below. None of this mattered........ If anyone knows what may be going on along with correcting this problem...... Please let me know. Thank goodness for paper maps.

BaseCamp Preferences.jpg

Ray Sherman, Jun 24, 2018
  2. Ray Sherman

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If the map used on Basecamp is exactly the same as the map installed on the 595LM, I would expect the Route taken by the 595LM to be the same as the Route displayed in Basecamp, however, the Basecamp Routing Preferences shown above will be overridden by the Routing Preferencies on the 595LM itself, so they also need to be set on the 595LM to match the ones above

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 25, 2018
  3. Ray Sherman

Ray Sherman

Thanks for the help...... I will check the settings on the 595LM. Hopefully that's the problem. Thanks again, I sincerely appreciate the help. Ray :)

Ray Sherman, Jun 25, 2018
  4. Ray Sherman

Ray Sherman

I went into the 595LM settings. I did have a couple settings different than what is set in Basecamp, they arte as follows;
    Basecamp Avoidances:
    Unpaved Road (checked)
    Ferries (checked)
    Toll Roads (checked)
    595LM Avoidances:
    Unpaved Roads (unchecked)
    Ferries (unchecked)
    Toll Roads (Allow)

Other current 595LM Settings
    Off Route Recalculation

Automatic (highlighted)

Installed Maps:
    595LM myMaps:

CN North America NT 2019.10 Foursquare
    North America DEM
    CN North America NT 2019.11 ALL

Basecamp:
    CN North America NT 2019.11 ALL
    Global Map

Not in Basecamp
    CN North America NT 2019.10 Foursquare

Even with these few differences, I see no reason why my route is being changed while on it. My routes are consists of major expressways, state and county roads. I'd like to add, I'm still trying to figure out why there is a difference in maps between Basecamp and the 595LM...... ;)

Ray Sherman, Jun 26, 2018
  5. Ray Sherman

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Have you tried removing the differences?

You have Basecamp - Avoid Unpaved Roads = YES
    and the 595LM unit - Avoid Unpaved Roads = NO

Why woud you want them different ?

As CN North America NT 2019.11 ALL was used to generate the Route in Basecamp, you must select CN North America NT 2019.11 ALL on the 595LM and de-select all the other maps, then set ALL preferences to the same as Basecamp, if you don't do this there is no point in taking this any further

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 27, 2018
  6. Ray Sherman

Ray Sherman

Thanks for the help..... I did change the differences in which everything now matches. I thought that the 595LM had the same settings. Maybe they were changed due to firmware updates, I'm not sure. I will make sure that they match up from here forward. With that being said, I.M.O. those minor differences shouldn't have caused the 595LM to re-route me when I'm driving on a perfectly routed route with major roads. The 595LM wanted to take shortcuts and it didn't matter how it did it. As far as the maps, what's with CN North America NT 2019.10 & Foursquare North America DEM? It may be an earlier firmware/version. If that's the case, I.M.O. they should have been overwritten during updates. These maps don't show up in Basecamp. If they're not related, why are they there? Thanks again for the help. Ray

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Ray Sherman, Jun 27, 2018
  7. Ray Sherman

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The satnav follows set rules to get it from one waypoint to the next, if it is allowed to use unpaved roads and it calculates that the FASTEST or SHORTEST route is via these unpaved roads then it will use them, so you have to ensure that FASTEST, SHORTEST, Unpaved = Y / N etc. are setup the same on both Basecamp and 595LM

You also have to ensure that only the map used in Basecamp is selected on the 595LM, because if a different map is selected it may have more, less or different roads and the satnav will only use available roads to get from one waypoint to the next

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 28, 2018
  8. Ray Sherman

Ray Sherman

Thanks..... I basically understand what you are saying. I unchecked CN North America NT 2019.10 & Foursquare North America DEM on the 595LM. Again, I.M.O. It shouldn't even be there. This along with many other reasons I feel that Garmin along with Basecamp is a GIANT step backwards in tech compared to my previous 276c using MapSource. Never, Ever had these issues. Thanks for your help getting me through this. Ray

Ray Sherman, Jun 29, 2018
Ask a Question