60CSx sound indicator every x metres

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by JBNZ, Jun 22, 2019.

1. JBNZ

JBNZ

Hi all,
    I'm just wondering if there's a way of getting the 60CSx to indicate, ideally audibly, when I have walked over 200m (for example) from my last waypoint? Can be straight line or distance walked.
    Cheers
    John

JBNZ, Jun 22, 2019
  2. JBNZ

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

As far as I am aware the only indication that can be made is when you approach a circle fixed around a pre-determined waypoint, from either inside or outside the circle, so you would have to set up a new Waypoint Proximity alarm for each 200m step

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 22, 2019
  3. JBNZ

JBNZ

Thanks for that. Doable I guess, but a bit laborious after a while and I'll need to know which way I am going to set the next waypoint. Anyway thanks for the response.

Hmmm, I spotted Android Smartphones in your sig, do you know of any Android App that will do the same?

JBNZ, Jun 22, 2019
  4. JBNZ

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Yes, it isn't really practical, the way I saw it working is to mark a waypoint where you are currently standing and set a 200m proximity alarm around it, if you then walk in any direction the 60CSx beeps when you are 200m away from the first waypoint, then repeat

Thr only smartphone app. I can think of is an interval distance running app.

Or maybe a GPS pedometer like Pedometer GPS Sport which had Distance alert . . . Reset . . . Repeat

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 22, 2019
  5. JBNZ

JBNZ

I think I'll give it a go and see how I feel about it. You don't really know until you try I guess.

Thanks for all your help :)

JBNZ, Jun 22, 2019
  6. JBNZ

RoadRoach

If you know your route, you can plan a route with multiple waypoints and put them all in a named signal file, much like the Speed files for a Nuvi. Love my ol' 60CSX because it's one of the most accurate hand-helds I've ever seen, but it does have it's limits. I used it extensively when Geocaching, and often planned routes based on the order I wanted to retrieve the caches. This let me get a cache, get my bearings to the next point, and start walking without looking at the unit again until I got close enough to my next destination to trigger the alarms. The caveat here, though is that you may have varying distances between the targets. If, however you plot your trip in BaseCamp, you might be able to filter a path to finite distances between points, then load that as a GPX on the 60CSx. You're going to need routable trail maps in BaseCamp, though. If you don't have those, but do have existing tracks for where you want to do this, filter one of those an load it as a GPX. I don't know if this will do exactly what you want, but it'll get close.

RoadRoach, Jul 6, 2019
    JBNZ likes this.
  7. JBNZ

JBNZ

Actually, yeah, that would work, the only caveat is that I'd have to stick to my planned route :) I find that difficult to do sometimes! Another one worth giving a go though, thank you!

JBNZ, Jul 6, 2019
  8. JBNZ

RoadRoach

Yup, that's the exact thing I was thinking about. I don't think I can think of a way to audible distance traveled other than fixed geopoints along my chosen path, but I'm pretty sure that the 60CSx can also log by distance traveled. That might be another option if you want to plan several different routes, and then deviate just a little each time, assuming you're still hiking in the same general area.

RoadRoach, Jul 6, 2019
Ask a Question