60CSx suddenly allowing only 500 data points in track log

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by JCG, May 27, 2017.

1. JCG

JCG

After years of reliable performance, my GPS began filling up the track log after only 500 points rather than 10,000 despite erasing all saved tracks. I doubled checked my settings during today's hike and found all in order. Any suggestions?

Also, I installed a 4 GB data card several years ago. It's less than half full; however I learned to my surprise that my Mac won't open the disk image because of incompatible format. Basecamp apparently can't access the files either.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

JCG, May 27, 2017
  2. JCG

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

There is a trackpoint setting (although I have never understood why), which limits the number of trackpoints, goto :- Map page >> Menu >> Setup Map >> Track points, the default is 3000 (Max. 10000), maybe this has inadvertently been set to 500

Nuvi-Nebie, May 27, 2017
    JCG likes this.
  3. JCG

JCG

Thanks for the reply. Mine was set at the default, 3,000 track points. I changed it to 10,000 and will see if this helps.

Also, please ignore my 2nd question. Turns out I wasn't recording tracks to the data card after all. My MAC sees the when they are there.

JCG, May 27, 2017
  4. JCG

JCG

The change appears to have helped. I just returned from a car trip of 22 miles around town. Track recording was set to Auto. The track log shows 25% full. When I transferred the data from the GPS unit into BaseCamp, I got a summary track with the usual maximum of 500 points and five Active Logs with a total of 2,601 track points or approximately 26 percent of the 10,000 maximum.

Interestingly on my hike yesterday, I saved the track at 96% (or so) full then cleared the track log. I then was able to record a second track that completed my hike with the track log at 75 percent (or so) full at the end. Thus, it doesn't seem to be a total memory problem. Presumably, I could have saved the second track as well, cleared it, then recorded a third track, if necessary. Once I transferred the data to BaseCamp I was able to combine the two tracks on one map and save a record of the entire hike.

JCG, May 27, 2017
  5. JCG

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I think the problem is in the 'Save Track' option, as far as I know the Active Log (s), store everything recorded, however I think 'Save Track' carries out a compression of data, possibly to a maximum of 500 points per file

Nuvi-Nebie, May 27, 2017
    JCG likes this.
  6. JCG

JCG

I'll leave the settings as is for my hike next week and see what happens. Thanks.

JCG, May 27, 2017
Ask a Question