60CSx unlock issue after downloading Topo 24K

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by pgarth, Oct 21, 2010.

1. pgarth

pgarth

Hi Everyone:

Desired outcome is:
    -Download Topo 24K to a 4GB Micro SD to be installed in 60CSx
    -Download City Navigator to a 2GB Micro SD to be flip-flopped for Topo 24K

What has worked so far:
    -Downloading the City Navigator to a 2GB Micro SD -- works fine

What is driving me up the wall:
    -Downloading the Topo 24K map to the 4GB Micro SD card (Note: Card was freshly formatted)
    -Web interface completes (4 to 5 hours later) at 100%
    -Disconnect the cable, 60CSx cycles up to 100% on screen, displays "Can't unlock map"
    -On the SD card, a Garmin Folder was created containing a file - gmapsupp.img

Other:
    -Appears I have, on the web, the full unlock codes
    -I've registered the device
    -I've confirmed that it has latest firmware

Thanks in advance for the magic formula to get this working. I'm thinking I'm missing a .UNL extension file someplace. Garmin was talking about hidden files. Garmin was also who advised about putting the two maps on separate card -- initial goal was to have it on one card. While I'm planning on contact Garmin again, there maybe someone out there with the key to the riddle.

pgarth, Oct 21, 2010
  2. pgarth

pgarth

Resolution****

I contacted Garmin and figured out what happened.

Most likely, during the installation of Topo 24K, downloaded via the web, the unlock (.UNL extension file) didn't get written to the \Garmin folder on the Micro SD Card. The large .IMG file was written.

That explains why I was getting "Can't unlock map" error.

Even though I had found this solution in prior days, the Garmin tech emailed me the text document with the unlock code on the first line. You can find the unlock codes within your web-login pages.

What's cool, and unexpected, is that the Topo 24K (West) includes both Topo and Streets. I was expecting to download the City Navigator to my other 2GB Micro SD card and be forced to flip-flop -- looks like I don't need to do that anymore.

A part of me wants to try out again the idea of renaming the Topo 24K file and installing the City Navigator to the same 4GB SD card and then flip-flop by renaming. But... seeing as it appears that Topo 24K includes streets, I don't think I'm going to bother and just get back to GeoCaching.

Here are the instructions that were sent by Garmin in how to create the .UNL extension unlock file:

1. Click myMaps
    2. Click Manage Maps
    3. You should see your unit and it’s unlock codes
    4. Copy all the unlock codes for your device (Note: In my case, I just have Topo 24K code)
    5. Close your internet browser
    6. Right click on your desktop
    7. Click new, and then click Text Document
    8. Click on the newly created Text Document icon from the desktop
    9. Type your unlock codes into the document
    10. Click File and Save as
    11. Change the file name to gmapsupp.unl
    12. Change the “Save as type” to "All files"
    13. Close the document
    14. You should see the file gmapsupp.unl on your desktop
    15. Right click on the gmapsupp.unl file and then click copy
    16. Plug your Garmin device in and then click Computer/My Computer
    17. Click on the 'garmin (drive letter:)'*
    18. Right click on the Garmin folder and click paste
    19. Safely disconnect your Garmin device from the computer.

Note: After step 19, I had disconnected the cable, turned off device and turned device back on again. After it cycles up to 100% it continued on with no problem.

pgarth, Oct 23, 2010
  3. pgarth

p3pete

Thanks!!

Thank you very very much! After attempting to contact GARMIN unsuccessfully I came across your post and it worked flawlessly. So for all you 60Csx owners trying to get TOPOs to work... here is your answer...
    Cheers,
    Pete

p3pete, Aug 18, 2011
Ask a Question