9616T-LM Clock Error

Discussion in 'Magellan GPS' started by patchelect, Aug 14, 2019.

1. patchelect

patchelect

My 9616T-LM has suddenly decided that it no longer wants to provide the correct time. i'm not talking about a zone problem, but a completely wrong clock. I'm off by multiple hours and minutes. I did try the "tools" and a complete reboot as well as manually entering the location for the unit but no luck. I don't use the GPS that often and only noticed the problem a week or so ago after having had the unit completely out of service for several months. Mapping works fine as well as the address book showing all stored information. The unit isn't that old and has very little use. I will not replace it should there be no fix. i have another unit and my phone can handle the job if necessary, but I would prefer the Magellan be working correctly.

patchelect, Aug 14, 2019
  2. patchelect

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I would be interested in knowing what date the unit displays / records in a track file, is it also wrong?, older units have a Week Rollover problem, but this usually stops the unit from getting a satellite 'fix', which I am guessing is not the case with your unit, if this is correct there is a very good chance that your unit does know the correct time and date internally and is mearly displaying it incorrectly, because the unit will find it very difficult to get satellite 'fix' (from multiple satellites) without the correct time/date

Can you confirm whether the unit does get a satellite fix ?

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 14, 2019
  3. patchelect

patchelect

I don't know where to look for that. However looking at the satellite page that I was able to find I did see a changing number of satellites, probably 6-7 at a time. Although I haven't written things down I think the posted time is changing. Right now it is 3 hours plus or minus a minute or two off. I have double checked my time zone as well as let it automatically decide. Both choices give the same error. However I seem to recall it being a figure more like 3 1/2 hours previously. Oddly enough another Magellan I have (can't recall the model) also went into this time being wrong mode last week, but it was repairable by a manual entry of my physical location. That hasn't helped with this one.

patchelect, Aug 14, 2019
  4. patchelect

hoteltwo

I have a brand new (NIB) 9616t-lm and the clock is off by 1 hr and 10 min out of the box. Time zone is correct. Don't see any place in setup tools to adjust the time. Also don't see anyplace to setup wifi .

hoteltwo, Sep 3, 2019
  5. patchelect

patchelect

There is NOT a place to correct the time with the exception of the time zone itself. My Magellan 9616-LM is the biggest POS I have owned. I own an older model that has been stellar, but the 9616 has been trouble since day one. The antenna seems to lose signal in places the other one never does. i've used both in the same vehicles on the same roads and the older one (I don't recall the model) never skips a beat. The 9616 will constantly drop signal and begin "searching" mode in the middle of a drive whether I'm using a mapped course or just driving around with the unit plugged in.

If I get a replacement it will definitely NOT be another Magellan. They used to be good, but apparently have fallen to the garbage side of the ledger.

patchelect, Sep 3, 2019
  6. patchelect

BriaPayton

Hi...I had this Problem today. after several attempts and getting the message server is busy each time, I uninstalled content Manager from my PC and the redownloaded and installed it. It now works

BriaPayton, Oct 22, 2019
  7. patchelect

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Are you saying that re-installing the Magellan Content Manager software on your computer fixed a time display problem you had on your Magellan handheld GPS device?

If the answer is yes, then could it be that the Magellan Content Manager software is sending it's own 'clock' time to the Magellan handheld GPS device, so if the time on the computer is wrong it sends this error to the GPS?

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 23, 2019
Ask a Question