Active Log Question

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by thedoughnut, Oct 2, 2020.

1. thedoughnut

thedoughnut

Hi all! New to the forum and this is my first post. I use an etrex legend HCx for hiking. I record tracks and save them then upload them to Google Earth. Some days I do multiple hikes in a day and when I do, I save separate tracks for each individual hike, but when I transfer the data to Base Camp, there's only one active log, and It usually for the last hike only. My question is: how to I get multiple active logs for all my hikes? If that make sense?

Thanks,
    thedoughnut

thedoughnut, Oct 2, 2020
  2. thedoughnut

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Have you examined the Active log file in Basecamp?, I would expect to find that the single file contains both (or all) of the tracks, sometimes these Tracks are joined together so the last point of the first Track is joined to the first point of the seccond, but they can be split into seperate Tracks using Basecamp

The Active Log does have a fixed size and usually when that size is reached the unit will start to over-write older waypoints in order to make new ones, if this has happened, then the answer is to 'Save (or Archive) the Active Log to a named file on your unit, before you start the second Track, this can be done multiple times using different file names and will make the Active Log space free for a new Track, if the Active log is being over-written before the end of the first Track is completed, then you have to change how often the unit automatically makes a waypoint by changing the Distance or Time between waypoints

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 2, 2020
  3. thedoughnut

thedoughnut

The active log in basecamp just shows the last hike I did, not both. I'll look into changing how the unit automatically makes the waypoints. Thanks for the reply.

thedoughnut, Oct 2, 2020
  4. thedoughnut

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Your. Legend HCx will store 500 waypoints in the Active Log file, so if there are this number of waypoints when viewed in Basecamp, then you have reached the limit, if not there is something else wrong, you can change the way waypoints are stored in Setup >> Tracks >> Record Method >> Auto, Distance, Time with Recording Interval being [Most Often - Normal - Least Often], [every XXXX.XX Miles] or [after so many Hour, Mins, Seconds], all of these options can be used to store less waypoints per track

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 2, 2020
Ask a Question