Alternative traffic cord, Drivesmart 60

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Brewerpaul, May 26, 2018.

1. Brewerpaul

Brewerpaul

I got this GPS (refurb) and love it.However, after using it in a rental car, the traffic/power cord mysteriously vanished. I've contacted the car rental place, but with no luck.
    It's still working with another cord but I keep getting reminded that this cord is not compatible for traffic reports.
    I would like to use the traffic feature but don't want to plop down another $60 for an OEM cord.
    Are there other aftermarket cords I could use and still get traffic info?
    Barring that, does anyone have a used one they'd like to sell? Thanks

Brewerpaul, May 26, 2018
  2. Brewerpaul

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The short answer to your question is no, the power cord you require carries out multiple functions, it converts 12Volts to 5Volts the same as your 'other' cord, but it also contains an FM tuner in the plastic block half way down the cable, data from this tuner is then passed down the cable together with the 5Volt supply.

As far as I am aware no other supplier makes this power supply + FM Tuner combination, you can receive 'Garmin Live Traffic (via a Smartphone Link app)', but this Bluetooth option requires a subscription for the Drivesmart 60 (see page 11 of the user manual) e.g.

2018-05-26_19.34.11.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, May 26, 2018
  3. Brewerpaul

Brewerpaul

There are other older,cheaper charger/receivers like this one:
    Code:
    www.amazon.com/Garmin-Mini-USB-Traffic-Receiver-Charger/dp/B078FNTTFN/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1527420751&sr=8-5&keywords=garmin+traffic+cable

What's it missing?

Brewerpaul, May 27, 2018
  4. Brewerpaul

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You would need to get the same cable that was supplied with the unit from new, you already have a replacement that doesn't work on traffic, without knowing your exact model number it is difficult to suggest which cable you need, I'm guessing you have either Drivesmart 60 LMT or Drivesmart 60 LMT-D

I understand that certain models have the FM tuner built-in to the main unit and only use the power cable as an aerial for it, while others need a power + FM tuner cable, or only get traffic info. via a bluetooth link to a smartphone which in turn has access to the internet

Nuvi-Nebie, May 28, 2018
  5. Brewerpaul

Brewerpaul

I knew that the cable I'm using now wouldn't get traffic. It's just a power/charging cable from an older Nuvi.
    If it helps, this is the Amazon listing from which I ordered my DriveSmart.
    Code:
    www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6BEPF6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My GPS does not rely on a bluetooth link to my phone.

Brewerpaul, May 28, 2018
  6. Brewerpaul

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

O.K. so it is a DriveSmart 60 NA LMT i'm not sure what the 'NA' stands for but the LMT stands for Liftetime Maps and (Garmin Traffic), there are items on Ebay that claim to supply car power connectors for the Drivesmart 60 LMT like this one :-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Cable-charger-adapter-Cord-Garmin-DriveSmart-60LMT-70LMT-Drive-60LMT-/381593866564

BUT you need to ask the seller if it supports Garmin Traffic using this item or you could just get the same message you get with your other cable

Nuvi-Nebie, May 28, 2018
  7. Brewerpaul

Brewerpaul

NA might mean North America. I just asked the seller about this cord. Thanks

Brewerpaul, May 28, 2018
  8. Brewerpaul

Bobup

"I understand that certain models have the FM tuner built-in to the main unit and only use the power cable as an aerial for it, while others need a power + FM tuner cable, or only get traffic info. via a bluetooth link to a smartphone which in turn has access to the internet "

So my DriveSmart 50 LMTHD says it has a built in traffic receiver, but still requires the cord with a traffic tuner in order to work.....that's seems redundant doesn't it?

Bobup, Jun 12, 2018
Ask a Question