Am I using Route Recalculate Wrong?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Ken H, Sep 5, 2022.

1. Ken H

Ken H

Unit is a Zumo 396XL on a motorcycle.

Question I have – I’m not understanding/using the route, “Recalculate?” correctly.

Scenario – I’m riding along a route that has waypoints in it. Now let’s say between waypoint “C” and “D” for some reason I have to detour off the route. I then get an, “Off Route – “Recalculate?” pop-up. (Because I have the ask function turned on.) Let’s then say I choose/tap, “No”. The route stays the same - no surprise I guess. Now, later I’m back on the original route, somewhere between “C” and “D”, but now closer to “D”. However instead of then continuing on with directions/info, etc. to “D”, or even when I later still past “D”, with directions/info to “E” and so on, it just stays the same, apparently presuming I am going to go back to waypoint “C” before continuing on.

OTOH, if I choose/tap “Yes” to the original pop-up, it recalculates a new route to waypoint “C” regardless if I am back on the original route or still on the detour. Usually suggesting making a U-turn. Which of course is useless. Indeed even every time I ‘miss’ the U-turn point it repeats, “In… make a U-turn…” (Or similar, e.g. take exits, go around blocks, etc.)
    The only way I seem to be able to continue onward is to cancel/stop the route, re-find it in Trip Planner, choose it, select the next logical upcoming waypoint along the route, then press Go, then Start. Which is a real PIA to say the least when moving along at speed on a motorcycle.

My prior Zumos (660 and 665) and my Nuvi 2595 don’t seem to behave this way. They just seem to presume ‘go to the next waypoint on the route’ so to speak when I am back on it and continue with the directions/info to it. (The 660 and 665 prompted, the Nuvi doesn’t have the prompt feature, it just does it.)
    What am I missing / doing wrong??

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Ken H, Sep 5, 2022
  2. Ken H

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You need to understand the difference between a Waypoint and a Shaping point, Imagine you are a delivery driver and you MUST visit 10 destinations on your trip, you enter the 10 Waypoints and maybe get the Satnav or Basecamp to calculate the shortest route between them, you then start out, if you miss a Waypoint you MUST re-route to it you don't have a choice, If you are not a delivery driver and you just selected a point along a Route that it would be nice to see then you make it a shaping point not a Waypoint, you will still be Routed to the shaping points BUT if you miss it you will be directed the next one or the final destination, If you have a start point and an end point with 10 shaping points then there is only one destination, the end point, if you if you have a start point and an end point with 10 Waypoints points then you have 11 destinations

Here are some notes on Routes that shows Waypoints and Shaping Points :-
    https://www.gps-forums.com/threads/garmin-routes.46540/#post-226622

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 6, 2022
  3. Ken H

Ken H

Ah, useful info, thanks!

One question - how do I create Shaping points in BaseCamp (or on the GPS)? I clicked around a lot but didn't see anything. Thanks.

Ken H, Sep 6, 2022
  4. Ken H

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

OK, here are the steps in Basecamp :-
    1. Click on 'New Route' Icon
    2. Click on the map twice to select start and end points
    3. You now have a Route with no Vias
    4. Right click on the map Route and select 'Insert into Route'
    5. Click on the map to select a new location
      Note : at this point the new location is a Waypoint
    6. Bring up the details of the Route and right click the new location
    7. Select 'Don't Alert on arrival (Shaping Point)
    8. 'Wont Alert' is added to the new shaping point
    join4.jpg
    setp 5

join5.jpg
    step 7

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 6, 2022
  5. Ken H

Ken H

Wonderful! Thank you so much for your expertise and taking time to put together the great explanation and instructions.

Ken H, Sep 7, 2022
Ask a Question