An old 60CS and a case with 4 tope Canada CD's in it....

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by davecason, Feb 10, 2023.

1. davecason

davecason

HI,

I have in my hand my old Garmin 60CS, also on the table is an OLD old 4 pack CD called Trip & Waypoint Mgr at version 2.01.
    I suspect that the CD is now junk .....(grin)

What's the new way to load up pieces of specific areas of my again, old 4 pack boxed CD set called Mapsource Topo Canada Ver 2.00 and some other bits from Topo USA that I want to use for navigation up in around Homer, AK

I'd like to toss in the topos for the west coast of canada and southern alaska and se if I can find some charts that might go in as well.

The world o' Garmin now uses Basecamp but it's been a while ...... I think the GPS has been flipped to that new .gdb for mat and I think it used to be .gpx?

Anyway can I stuff in mix of topo canada/usa and marine charts for a buddy to borrow? Can anyone suggest some other software or is it worth trying?

Cheers'
    Dave

davecason, Feb 10, 2023
  2. davecason

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If you install Garmin Basecamp on to a computer you can then install any maps you have on the computer (the disks may refer to Garmin Mapsourse but Bascamp does the same job), once all the maps a viewable in Basecamp you can send the maps (or a selected part of the maps) using the Install Maps option to the 60cs

Basecamp sometimes shows all memory (both internal and microSD) as a single available area, other times you can choose either internal memory or the microSD as a destination for the new maps

gdb and gpx formats are both still used for storing Waypoints / Favourites, Routes and Tracks (but not maps), the difference is that gdb is Garmin only whereas gpx is a universal files type that can transfer data between different GPS manufacturers units

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 10, 2023
  3. davecason

davecason

AH OK, cool .....

I was hoping that was the case ....So I can grab by boxed 4 cd set of Topo Canada and it "should" install in to Basemap right? Same with my older USA topo CD too in theory. I remember adding and deleting maps using the old Trip and Waypoint software years ago ..... hopefully its a similar process.

Any ideas about sea charts? I have yet to play with any sea chart stuff and I'm hoping to find a copy of one for
    a specific area near Port Hardy on the N end of Vancouver Island, and then see if I can put that in the 60sc as well.

Thanks for the reply BTW - its' very much appreciated!

Cheers'
    Dave

davecason, Feb 10, 2023
  4. davecason

davecason

Well ...... we'll call it progress.

I tossed in the first CD and let it run and it went thru the old install and took all four CD's just fine.

I can start the now new old copy of mapsource and as you can see in the screenshot its showing each map of topo canada OK. And if I open basemap it downloaded the dump from the 60sc just fine too ......

But the mapsource can't see or find the 60SC unit and visa versa the basecamp software can't see any of the topo canada sheets in mapsource .......

Did I install it wrong in that I should have tried to run the 4 CD set from basecamp or something?

The first CD has the install canada topo exe on it but it does seem to install mapsource so maybe that's where I screwed up?

Cheers'
    Dave

Attached Files:

davecason, Feb 11, 2023
  5. davecason

davecason

AH ! well I just played around in it a bit more and its now trying to send a new mapset to the unit In BaseCamp!

I think it's gonna be OK!

davecason, Feb 11, 2023
  6. davecason

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Sea charts can't be installed using Basecamp, there is a similar computer program for marine charts called Garmin Homeport, there is also a smartphone / tablet App. called Active Captain to handle them

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 11, 2023
Ask a Question