Any GPS Software for wilderness/Terrain maps?

Discussion in 'GPS Software' started by nebel1, Mar 27, 2018.

1. nebel1

nebel1

Greetings to All! Firstly, i would like to warn that my post may contain some inaccuracies or direct errors with respect to GPS, since I'm a newbie in all this: please excuse that.

Having said that, i would like to know if there is a software for my gps device that allows me to show terrain in this way

zmlf77-1.jpg
    Click image to enlarge

Instead of This:

2018-03-27_23.45.53.jpg
    Click image to enlarge

Both Images are from the exact same location. Is there any software not intended for roads, but for hiking, etc where there is no road at all? Any ideas of how to use the gps like Mapcarta ? My device is Navroad NR470

nebel1, Mar 27, 2018
  2. nebel1

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Terrain maps are usually shaded hills, contours etc. your picture is a satellite photograph, the only images I have seen like this for a GPS are the Garmin Birdseye images, they are not transferable to the NR470 as far as I am aware

Garmin devices can also load free maps from Open Street Maps, here is the same area on OSM

2018-03-28_12.30.38.jpg

Click image to enlarge

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 27, 2018
    nebel1 likes this.
  3. nebel1

nebel1

Yes, that's what i'm looking for. I'll take a look at your guide, since the software i'm currently running (navroad navigator free) uses openstreetmap somehow: " The supplier of cartographic material is the mapFactor company that uses OpenStreetMap" as stated in their page.
    Maybe I could figure out how to show the map in that way, because it only display the classic on route navigation.
    In Garmin devices, is there a way to show the terrain map of your image? i'm quite sure i'm using an osm map, but that option for terrain doesnt show.

Thanks a lot!

nebel1, Mar 29, 2018
  4. nebel1

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Open Street Map has several layers, if you goto the OSM link in #2 above and then 'View OSM' you will see in the main screen some options on the right side like this
    2018-03-29_08.52.37.jpg
    If you select 'Cycle Map' you will see contours and hill shading, if you follow the 'Download' link below 'View OSM', you will see that the OSM maps have also been converted to Garmin maps in several different layers, you can choose to download the 'Bi-cycle' version, also there is transparent contours
    2018-03-29_09.17.02.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 29, 2018
Ask a Question