Any high-accuracy Garmin models coming soon?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by peteybaby, Jul 30, 2018.

1. peteybaby

peteybaby

At least one smartphone has the new Broadcom BCM47755 chip, which enables 1-foot accuracy. Does anyone know if Garmin plans to introduce new models with similar accuracy?

If not, it would be difficult for them to sell any of their handheld models with 3-5 m accuracy, when smartphones have 1-foot accuracy.

peteybaby, Jul 30, 2018
  2. peteybaby

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I too would be very interested to know the answer to your question, what I can say is that dedicated GNSS manufacturers seem to be much slower to the market place than cell phone manufacturers, I think they would claim to do more testing on a GNSS only product, than cell phone phones that have many different functions.

I guess the smartphone you are referring to is the Xiaomi Mi 8, with some listings showing the BCM47755, the Mi 8 is commonly shown to have a dual band GPS with L1 & L5 capability, here are some info. links for the Mi 8:-

https://www.gizchina.com/2018/05/26/xiaomi-mi-8-worlds-first-dual-frequency-gps-smartphone/

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_8-9065.php

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiaomi_Mi_8

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 30, 2018
  3. peteybaby

peteybaby

Thanks Nuvi-Nebie. Yep that's the smartphone model I was referring to.

I'm going to keep an eye on what Garmin does, because I just can't see them selling a lot of handheld GNSS receivers if they have to compete with smartphones that incorporate that 47755 chip. I'm sure Garmin has already lost a ton of GNSS receiver sales to smartphones, and if smartphones get this 1-foot accuracy before Garmin devices do, that'll make Garmin devices obsolete to most consumers.

Even though I have a Garmin Montana, I frequently use my smartphone instead, because it's faster, has a nicer & bigger display, better touch-screen, etc.

I hope Garmin still thinks there's a market for their handheld receivers, and steps up with a new product line really quickly.

I mention only Garmin because that's the brand of receiver I have, but the same applies to Magellan and the others too.

peteybaby, Jul 31, 2018
  4. peteybaby

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I would agree, Garmin, Magellan etc, still have a few advantages over cell phone manufacturers, e.g. waterproof housings, longer battery life, more stable operating systems and daylight readable displays, but, cell phones already have better GNSS chips providing a greater number of satellite constallaions, much better screens resolutions / sizes and the availability of mulititudes of Apps. that can be programmed to use the GNSS signals in many more different ways than dedicated 'GPSs'

When you add 1-foot accuracy (something only achieved with dedicated units costing thousands of Dollars / Pounds) to the mix, it makes handheld and satnav units look like a very poor alternative to the cell-phone that virtually everyone already owns - So come on Garmin, Magellan etc. Give us a dual band GNSS soon ! ! !

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 31, 2018
  5. peteybaby

Jacquers

So Garmin chose to go with a Sony chipset for their new watches (2019). From what I've read and the pictures I've seen of users showing their mapped runs the accuracy and consistency is worse than before. But battery life is better, I think.

I've had a couple of GPS watches. In order of accuracy the SirfStar chipset was the best so far (older Garmins and my current TomTom Multisport), then the MediaTek (Forerunner 230 / 630, etc) and from what I've seen Sony is last on the list. I actually chose to keep the TomTom which has less features than the Garmin because the GPS tracked better. It would have been nice if Garmin went with the Broadcom chipset and improved their accuracy.

Jacquers, Jan 23, 2020
  6. peteybaby

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 23, 2020
  7. peteybaby

peteybaby

Finally! Garmin has recently introduced the 65 series and 66sr, with multi-band technology.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    peteybaby, Oct 21, 2020
  8. peteybaby

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Yes, here is some info from Garmin

GPSMap66sr (Click Link)

GPSMap65 (Click Link)

I don't know much about these new models yet, But I do know that they are capable of utilizing not only multiple constellations such as :- GPS, Galileo and BeiDou, Glonass etc. but also dual signals from each constellation, the first three in this list transmit both the standard L1 signal and the newer L5 signal and these new Garmin models can use a L1 + L5 combination, I am not sure which GNSS chips Garmin are using to do this, but it has been stated that they are using (or intend to use) the Sony CXD5610 series in their sports watches, so maybe the new hiking models do as well

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 21, 2020
  9. peteybaby

peteybaby

I'm really hoping that they release a multi-band version of the Montana 700 series (which I just learned about today too). My old eyes need the bigger screen, and my pockets are big enough. :)

If you (or anyone else here) ever hears about an upcoming Montana multi-band model, please let us know!

peteybaby, Oct 22, 2020
  10. peteybaby

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

OK I'll keep an eye out, I have added some more info. to post #8 above and the Dual-Band Info. page

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 22, 2020
Ask a Question