Any way to reload DriveSmart 61LMT-S firmware?

Discussion in 'GPS Software' started by KBushaw, Oct 12, 2023.

1. KBushaw

KBushaw

A while back I let my GPS attempt a WiFi firmware update via my iPhone.
    It wound up perpetually looping startup.
    It would look like it was about to completely come up and then go black screen and begin starting up again.
    This was for V6.70.
    After quite a while trying different things, I finally got it to start up.

But, I have had weird problems on recent trips.
    For example, just randomly, it will put up the turn-by-turn directions list and immediately display what was typically the last turn instruction. This is out in the middle of nowhere... not near any navigation turn or alert point.
    Sometimes, I cannot even cancel it without it immediately coming right back up.
    And when it does that, it immediately announces navigation instructions.

I even had one case where I purposely drove off the route because I knew a shorter way and the GPS just quit navigating. That is, it did not adjust its route to the course change (recalculate) nor give any instructions as I approached and re-joined the route it had created. I had to start a new route.

I never had similar problems before the messed-up update so I am wondering if I really have a corrupt latest-version installation and would like to totally re-install it in case that might fix it.
    Is there a way to do that?

I have done several master resets and, so far, not fixed the problem.

I would also like to know if a firmware update is a total replacement of the previous firmware version.
    I may have to wait and hope for a future update if I cannot just reload latest version.

Or any ideas what may actually be wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks,
    Ken

KBushaw, Oct 12, 2023
  2. KBushaw

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

What was updated in the 'WiFi firmware update' ?, was it the operating system, a map update or both ?, you could probably force a new map update onto the DriveSmart 61, but to re-load the operationg system is not so easy

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 14, 2023
  3. KBushaw

KBushaw

I am pretty sure it was the V6.70 operating system.

I had 3 phone calls with Garmin support yesterday the first guy said the problems sounded like “ghost touches” where the display thinks it was touched but was not. He said the screen was supposed to recalibrate at every power on cycle (not just wake up) and suggested something to try but it takes a trip to find out.

The third guy I talked to asked me if I had a screen protector on it and I do. He said they are not recommended and, if they were, Garmin would be selling them. Made sense to me it could be the cause. The protector has been on it since new GPS which is several years now.

They all said there is no way for a user to force re-install of the OS.

So, I have removed the screen protector and configured everything again after the master reset and will see how it behaves on an 800-mile trip coming soon.

KBushaw, Oct 14, 2023
Ask a Question