Are there any "real" GPS made any more?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by MikeSD, Jul 10, 2013.

1. MikeSD

MikeSD

I mean

1) GPS units where you can enter GPS cordinates, in multiple formats.
    2) where you can navigate to a GPS cordinate
    3) where you get a compass
    4) track logs
    5) ability to set waypoints and navigate to waypoints (not those pathetic POI)
    6) trackback functions
    7) off road use
    8) where you can create and use custom maps
    9) mark waypoints
    10) where a cell phone is not required to have real GPS functionality

The idea of a GPS is to navigate around the world via GPS or other coordinate systems; not route on highways. Hell, a real GPS doesn't even need roads or maps. Don't get me wrong, maps are great. And navigation is great. But you shouldn't have to sacrifice the GPS part, to have navigation. The GPS is there, why not use it as intended, along with the navigation. You can barely find a good GPS nowadays that even knows anything about GPS cordinates. Seems like everything is now isn't much better than a cell phone with cheap worthless navigation, that only work well, if you are on major highways, in major cities.

I have a simple Garmin Oregon 450t and it outperforms all of my behicle GPS. It would be nice to have a real GPS that does real GPS stuff. I love my Garmin Oregon 450t. I wish I could get the same functionality (not workarounds), in one of the larger screen models.

Let me give you a couple of simple examples, that are no muss, no fuss with my Oregon.

1) I can be somewhere and just click one button and start driving, riding or walking. When I'm done, I have a captured track that I can save. If I want to go back, I can simply backtrack and the GPS will take me back to my starting point, via the same route I took but in reverse.

2) I can be driving along and just start clicking the waypoint button and saving waypoints to my hearts content, with nothing but a single button press.

3) I can get elevation, navigate by bearing, navigate to GPS cordinates, measure distance between cordinates, etc.

About the only thing these new "smart" GPS can do is route you somewhat close to existing highways and roads. They can barely do anything else, unless paired with a cell phone. Who gives a rip where the nearest McDonalds is, when you are 200 miles from the nearest city in Wyoming.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
    MikeSD, Jul 10, 2013
Ask a Question