Auto Route Recalculate

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Todddog, Feb 18, 2022.

1. Todddog

Todddog

My question is: which Garmin satnavs allow you to turn off Automatic Route Recalculate?
    I plan all my routes in Basecamp (Windows 11) and transfer them to my satnav. I have a DriveSmart65 and a Zumo595 and previously a Zumo 550. In both Zumos I can ‘turn off’ auto route recalculate. If I stray from a planned route the unit will ask if I want to recalculate the route.
    I can’t do this on the DriveSmart65, it just recalculates without asking and the original planned route is lost. This is infuriating when I’ve taken the time and trouble to plan a route and the satnav ignores it.
    I’ve tried most workarounds that have been suggested but none of them are particularly convenient to use. I have also had absolutely no response from Garmin support.
    I’m sticking with the Zumo595 but I do like some of the more up to date features of the Drivesmart65. I need something with the best of both.

Todddog, Feb 18, 2022
  2. Todddog

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Some GPS / Satnav devices will accept Tracks as well as Routes sent from Basecamp, you could try creating a Track in Basecamp and then sending it to the Drivesmart65, unlike Routes Tracks should not allow autoroute, although I guess the unit may try to autoroute in between the fixed waypoints that make up the Track

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 25, 2022
    Todddog likes this.
  3. Todddog

Todddog

Hi, thanks very much for trying to help me with the issue that I have. I have managed to find the answer that I needed, which is simply - the Garmin Zumo XT.
    Having used a Zumo 550 since they were introduced in 2006 and a Zumo 590 since 2014; and having planned 10s of thousands of miles of routes using Garmin Basecamp, I should have realised that Zumos were the units that were designed for people who were as interested (if not more interested) in the journey as in the destination. Whereas the DriveSmart and other ‘car’ units are aimed at people who are really only interested in the destination. Nothing wrong with that but some of us want to choose a more interesting route and be able to stick to it.
    So, the answer to my issue proved to be very simple. However, the process of arriving at it was frustrating. Not least because of (probably well meaning) people on other forums who have set themselves up as ‘experts’ and whose only contribution has been to tell me that I’m not using the DriveSmart correctly – I don’t think so!
    Thank you for your friendly and well-meaning contribution it is much appreciated. I wish I could say the same for some of the other responses that I’ve had on other forums

Todddog, Feb 26, 2022
Ask a Question