Automatically adding waypoints to a route

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Simon_stevo69, Jun 20, 2022.

1. Simon_stevo69

Simon_stevo69

Hello, can anyone help me with this please?

I've created a route on my Garmin Zumo that I've shared with a friend who has a TomTom - we're planning to ride together and would both like to have the route on each of our sat navs.

When I share the route with him it doesn't have any waypoints though, just the start and finish points, so his sat nav will just calculate a route, which is likely to be different.

I can see I can manually add waypoints in Basecamp but is there a way to generate these automatically. It's a 220 mile route so I don't really relish having to do it all by hand!

Thanks in advance

Simon

Simon_stevo69, Jun 20, 2022
  2. Simon_stevo69

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

In Garmin satnavs a Route always follows a map feature such as a road, path etc. in between Waypoints, however if you convert the Route into a Track using Basecamp the program will add Waypoints for every change in direction (for a Track the step from one Waypoint to the next is always a straight line), so Basecamp will create a breadcrumb trail that is not dependant at all on map features

Having created a Track in Basecamp you can edit it to change the amount of Waypoints used by double clicking on the Track and selecting Filter >> Automatic >> Fewer Points / More points or Maximum Points = [Required number], this is useful because some satnavs can't accept many 100's / 1000's of Waypoints

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 20, 2022
  3. Simon_stevo69

Simon_stevo69

Thanks very much for this, much appreciated! I've just converted it to a track and sent it on to my friend.

Cheers

Simon

Simon_stevo69, Jun 20, 2022
Ask a Question