Backup Camera

Discussion in 'Magellan GPS' started by Hal Carter, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Hal Carter

Hal Carter

I'm looking for a Backup Camera that will connect to my RM5255T-LM. The Device has a large female port and many Backup Cameras come with small male jacks that are too small for the RM5255T-LM. Size matters.

Hal Carter, Apr 10, 2018
  2. Hal Carter

Hal Carter

Anyone know where I can get the required 1/8 inch (3 black ring) Jack? - Hal

Hal Carter, Apr 12, 2018
  3. Hal Carter

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The only documentation I can find on a back-up camera (reversing camera) for the RM5255 shows that the 4way jack plug connects to a wireless receiver, so you would need to get the correct wireless backup camera for this unit
    2018-04-13_10.19.39.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, Apr 13, 2018
  4. Hal Carter

Hal Carter

Thank you for your reply. I'm trying to find the camera OR an adaptor plug that will convert the smaller jack that is available on other GPS backup camera devices to the larger Jack/hole that the RM5255 has.. Magellan no longer has the Camera.

Hal Carter, Apr 13, 2018
  5. Hal Carter

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You would have to ensure that the 4 wires on each jack plug are carrying the same type of signal, i.e. they may have different functions

Nuvi-Nebie, Apr 14, 2018
  6. Hal Carter

Hal Carter

Thank you! I don't know how to do that! If I get an adaptor from somewhere, it either works or doesn't!

Hal Carter, Apr 14, 2018
  7. Hal Carter

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You can get a converter that accepts a 4way 2.5mm plug into the hole ( on the left ), and has a 4way 3.5mm plug on the right, but as I said above, without knowing the function of each conductor, you run the risk of damaging both satnav and camera

2018-04-14_18.24.57.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, Apr 14, 2018
  8. Hal Carter

Hal Carter

Thanks for the info. Where can I get this jack and how do you check without just plugging them together. I guess I would have to strip the wire to do a simple continuity check with each separate section of the plug?

Hal Carter, Apr 14, 2018
  9. Hal Carter

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The item in the picture above is from a UK company called CableMatic but there are probably similar items on Ebay, the problem with the continuity won't be in the converter (I'm presuming the 4 connectors are in the same order from 2.5mm to 3.5mm), the problem maybe that you are connecting two things together that were never designed to communicate with each other, an example would be trying to connect a TV HDMI connector to a TV RCA composite video connector, they are incompatible formats

EDIT
    There is an adapter on Ebay US (Click HERE)

Nuvi-Nebie, Apr 15, 2018
  10. Hal Carter

Hal Carter

You have really been helpful. I appreciate your help in finding an adaptor. I check with CableMatic and with Amazon and ordered one from Amazon. Won't get it until end of next month. Hope it works. Thank you very much.for your help

Hal Carter, Apr 16, 2018
Ask a Question