Basecamp "as the crow flies" issue

Discussion in 'GPS Software' started by DrivinmissDaisy, Jan 21, 2017.

1. DrivinmissDaisy

DrivinmissDaisy

Hi Folks, a newbie to gps here. I have downloaded basecamp to my PC and I am practicing creating routes but when I lay out a route it only creates straight lines and does not choose roads. I read somewhere about changing it but can't find it on basecamp menus. Your help is appreciated.

Ok, so in reading similar posts (routes via trails vs. "as the crow flies") It says it can't do that on basecamp on my PC but if download the route to my device it will. But when I watch the basecamp tutorials it does change to the roads. I am confused.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    DrivinmissDaisy, Jan 21, 2017
  2. DrivinmissDaisy

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I'm wondering if there is confusion here between 'Routes' and Tracks', a Track is a series of waypoints connected with streight lines, a Route is a series of waypoints connected by a road or path feature that is loaded into Basecamp.

A Route must have a road, path or other map feature to follow in between waypoints, a Track does not need a map feature to follow, as a streight line is always used to join a series of waypoints

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 22, 2017
  3. DrivinmissDaisy

DrivinmissDaisy

Ok, so in reading similar post (routes via trails vs. "as the crow flies") I am understanding that It can't do this on basecamp on my computer but when I download to my device it will. But in Garmin tutorials it shows it being done. I'm confused

When I watch the tutorial on how to create a route it says: go to basecamp tools, choose route and then simply click on points and the points are connected by roads. when I do it my points are connected by lines.

DrivinmissDaisy, Jan 22, 2017
  4. DrivinmissDaisy

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Can you confirm that you are selecting 'Route' (the 3 green squares) and not the 'Track' icon (two feet).

In the example below the steps were Tools >> Route (3 green squares) >> click on point 'A' >> click on point 'B', as you can see, as soon as the second point is selected the route is shown in purple :-

route.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 22, 2017
  5. DrivinmissDaisy

DrivinmissDaisy

Yes, I am choosing the route icon. That does not happen for me. Is it possible that basecamp is not a routable program. I have no other maps downloaded to suppliment BC. Someone else presented that theory to me? Another said my BC is faulty?

DrivinmissDaisy, Jan 23, 2017
  6. DrivinmissDaisy

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If you have maps on your GPS they should be routeable, maps can be copied from your GPS to Basecamp and then used to create routes like the one in #4.

If you don't have routeble maps on your GPS either, you can download theses maps for free, see the link here :-
    https://www.gps-forums.com/threads/garmin-faqs.46082/#post-225279

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 23, 2017
Ask a Question