Basecamp, POIs, Problems with new map on SD card?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by johnash, Sep 25, 2017.

1. johnash

johnash

I suppose a somewhat obscure problem but just me thinking ahead.....

For my Garmin Drivesmart 51, which came installed with "lifetime" Europe map(s), I also bought a USA map which is installed on the SD card of the device.

2 questions really.

1. I'm about to create waypoints and routes within Basecamp, using the SD copy USA map, for a forthcoming USA trip. It will be quite a lot of work which is all part of the fun of planning our trips. But I don't want that fun to dissipate when I update that USA map before our trip, should Basecamp and/or the Garmin 51 then not be able to use those POIs/Routes with the new map. Any advice on that, please?

2. I read somewhere that, if Basecamp shows a map as being "unlockable" in "Maps, Manage Map Products" (which it does for the USA map) it should be possible to copy it to PC for Basecamp planning purposes. But that does not appear as an option when I go into "Maps, Install Maps". Only the Europe map is copiable to PC.

All advice welcome, thanks!

johnash, Sep 25, 2017
  2. johnash

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

1) Any Waypoints / Routes on your Drivesmart 51will still be in place after a map update, however if you want to back these up that is also possible, in Basecamp highlight any Waypoints / Routes /Tracks etc. you want to keep using Shift + Left Click, then select File >> Export >> Export Selection >> Save as GPX and select a folder on your computer in which to place the backup file, to get it back (if it isn't already in Basecamp), use File >> Import into My Collection and select the backed-up file, then 'Send My Collection to Device'

2) The Basecamp - Maps >> Install Maps option is for sending Maps in the other direction i.e. to your GPS / SatNav from your computer, you will probably find that Basecamp has automatically copied (Installed) any unlocked maps from your Drivesmart 51 to the computer

basecamp.jpg

In this example the Maps under Devices >> Nuvi 56 are on the Satnav, but the files under Maps (at the top of the screen), that are not labeled Nuvi 56 are on the computer's hard drive, if you disconnect the SatNav, all (Nuvi 56) files will be removed, but the other files will remain and are usable in Basecamp

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 25, 2017
  3. johnash

johnash

Thanks for the extremely comprehensive reply.

1.I appreciate the info about backing up my routes and waypoints. My main fear was not of losing them but whether they would work with an newly purchased map of the same region. (For Garmin it would appear there are no updates for purchased maps, you just have to buy a new one. In my old TomTom days, a purchased map came with one year's worth of updates).

2. On the question of maps being copied to PC, Basecamp is not copying across the USA map which is located on the SD card. I believe I copied the default Europe map across from within Garmin Express and Basecamp accesses the copy. So when I click on maps, it's not listed, as per your example.

Basecamp only sees the USA map when the Garmin with installed SD card is plugged in.

I have just looked further into this and Garmin Express is not actually seeing the USA map installed on the card. I told it to look for new devices but it does not see the SD card. If it did, I expect there would be an option to copy the map across.

Maybe I should take the SD card out and insert it into the PC and then see if I can copy it?

johnash, Sep 26, 2017
  4. johnash

johnash

Update: I tried this and Garmin Express will not add the SD card, plugged into PC, as a new device. So that didn't work. Basecamp sees the SD card but I can find no option to copy a map FROM it for Basecamp to use.

And I just tried copying the USA .gma file to C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\BaseCamp but that did not work.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    johnash, Sep 26, 2017
  5. johnash

johnash

Further update: I've found that, if I copy the map files from the SD card to a USB stick in a directory named "Garmin", Basecamp automatically finds that. So that's a step forward. I guess I could create a virtual drive on my PC and put them there?

Update to this: I created a VHD with a directory Garmin with the maps copied there, but Basecamp did NOT see the map there.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    johnash, Sep 26, 2017
  6. johnash

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The Waypoints will work on a newer map, routes will also work as long as the new map contains the same roads / paths as the old one, if the new map doesn't find a road / path it needs, it will re-route which can be a problem

I think that is the way forward, does the original microSD card have a *.unl file as well as a *.gma file?, if so that needs copying across as well, in fact if there are any other files with the *.gma file they all need copying to the Garmin folder on the USB stick, however it seems that some maps are locked to the original card

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 26, 2017
  7. johnash

johnash

OK thanks.

Yes I copied across all three files that were in the map directory on the SD card. The map was purchased, downloaded and installed there by me.

I still have some more questions about my new Garmin so hope you don't mind my posting yet more questions. Will start a new thread soon!

johnash, Sep 26, 2017
  8. johnash

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

No, not at all :)

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 26, 2017
Ask a Question