Basecamp Won't load - uninstall didn't help

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by johnash, Sep 28, 2017.

1. johnash

johnash

I'm trying to find a way of doing a completely clean reinstall of Basecamp. I had already pointed Basecamp on my laptop to a network drive for its data files and its quite happy with that.

I tried the same with Basecamp on my main PC, now it runs but then closes down. "Basecamp application has stopped working": I tried uninstalling and reinstalling. No joy. Uninstalling and removing all Basecamp data files and Registry entries, rebooting and reinstalling. But still it won't run.

Is there an .ini file somewhere I can get to to revert to default where its looking for its data files or what can I do? Driving me crazy!

Thanks.

johnash, Sep 28, 2017
  2. johnash

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I have yet to find a config (*.ini) file for Basecamp (still looking) and I guess you have already un-installed using the method below, but just in case :-

This will depend on which version of Windows you are working with, the following is for Windows 8 :-
    1. Click on the Windows key or icon (bottom left)
    2. type in Uninstall and select Uninstall a Program
    3. Right Click Basecamp from the list of installed programs
    4. and then select Uninstall
    unistall.jpg

I have found some Basecamp files (but not a Conf. / *.ini file) here :-

C:\Users\{username*}\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\BaseCamp)

* in my case {username} = user1

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 28, 2017
  3. johnash

johnash

Thanks. I just this minute fixed it by doing a system restore (the often lifesaving utility that Windows 10, for some reason, keeps hidden away!). Phew.

I now want to fathom out why it was not happy with the netdrive data location that my laptop was perfectly happy with!

By the way, uninstalling and reinstalling did me no good. There seems to be no simple way of doing a clean install. Unless someone knows better.....

Thanks again.

johnash, Sep 28, 2017
  4. johnash

johnash

I found why this is happening. I had not pointed Basecamp to the "\garmin\basecamp\" folder, just the "\garmin\" folder.

To get this to work, I copied the files on my PC from here: C:\Users\my_username\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\BaseCamp to my network drive.

Then, within Basecamp, Edit, Options, General, Database Options, I gave the copied database a name "Netdrive" and browsed to the Basecamp directory on my network drive.

I did the same within Basecamp on my laptop. Although it is not possible to run both copies of Basecamp at once, it does mean that any work I do on my laptop will then be reflected within my PC copy of Basecamp, and vice versa.

Works well!

johnash, Sep 29, 2017
  5. johnash

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Glad it's fixed, I still can't see why a complete un-install and re-install doesn't set :-
    'Edit, Options, General, Database Options' back to 'Default' though

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 30, 2017
  6. johnash

johnash

I tried several times, deleting all the files I could find plus entries in Registry and still it would not run. Well it ran, the splash screen referring to the help videos would load but then it would stop with the error "Basecamp has stopped working" and I'm sure it was down to the incorrect directory being set in the database options.

johnash, Sep 30, 2017
Ask a Question