Basic GPS

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by silverhow, Mar 25, 2023.

1. silverhow

silverhow

Having just lost my old GPS unit, I'm looking to replace it as economically as possible. I also use the OS Maps app on my Smartphone - and, with its big screen, this is great if the weather is fine. However there are two reasons why I want a separate basic GPS unit as well.
    1. If I record my current track on the Smartphone, it runs the battery down too fast - so I think it's good to use a separate GPS for this, and
    2. If the weather's bad, the Smartphone gets put away to protect it, so I use a paper map - but I would like a rugged GPS to give me my current location.
    Firstly: is this a sensible approach?
    If yes, then what is the best basic GPS to buy? I'm not interested in a big screen or built in maps - because, usually, I use the smartphone for this. My requirements would be:
    1. It should be just as accurate in pinpointing my position.
    2. It should be capable of recording the track I'm walking exportable as a GPX file, and
    3. It should be ruggedised so it can be used in the rain.
    On the web, I've found, for example an Etrex 10 or Etrex 12. Do these fit the bill? Or are they less accurate than more expensive models?
    Any advice, please?

silverhow, Mar 25, 2023
  2. silverhow

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The Etrex 10 will do what you want, the Etrex (12 channel) is a much older model, it is less accurate and I would not recommend it, maybe you meant to say Etrex 10 or Etrex 20, the 20 has a colour display and the ability to add maps but is no more accurate than the Etrex 10

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 27, 2023
    silverhow likes this.
  3. silverhow

silverhow

Thanks very much for this. I did mean Etrex 12 - available very cheap on the web. But the 10 seems the right choice. Thanks again!

silverhow, Mar 27, 2023
Ask a Question