Battery charging on Oregon and Montana

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Usaken, May 5, 2021.

1. Usaken

Usaken

Hi, i have discovered a strange thing about charging the Garmin battery in my Oregon and Montana. This condition happens when you charge the unit in an off condition. When the battery is fully charged and you unplug the usb charge cord, it appears that the unit remains off as no screen appears. Apparently, it is not off and will discharge. I have learned to turn the unit on and then back off after unplugging the cord. This prevents battery discharge. I thought there was something wrong with my batteries, because they were not holding a charge.

Usaken, May 5, 2021
  2. Usaken

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It looks like all the Garmin units that I have are never off when being charged, they are either fully on or in a sort of 'standby' state with a blank screen, you can tell the difference by how long it takes for the unit to wake up, from a real off state the unit takes some time and displays several start up screens, but from the standby state you get an instant wake up

The problem seems to be that after disconnecting the power during charging the unit should turn off but appears to stay in this standby state which takes considerably more power than when the unit is off

Nuvi-Nebie, May 6, 2021
  3. Usaken

Usaken

Thank you Speed210. It's too bad that is not clarified in the documentation. I have charged up my Garmins a number of times a day before a trip only to find the battery dead a day later. Now I know the drill. After charging just turn the unit on then back off and you are good to go.

Usaken, May 6, 2021
Ask a Question