Battery replacements

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by AcostaS80, Feb 25, 2021.

1. AcostaS80

AcostaS80

Hello, ive been searching for a battery replacement compatibility thread because i bought a used Drivesmart 7 lmt-s that needs a new battery but i cannot find the exact model number when i search for replacements online, mostly nuvi models and other drivesmart. I obviously dont want to put the wrong battery or buy one that wont fit. From what i gather i need a plug with 3 wires and 3.7v, get a little confused when it comes to MAH and WH. Will i be safe replacing the 820mah and 3.03wh with say a 1250mah and 4.4wh or higher? Thanks for any input!

AcostaS80, Feb 25, 2021
  2. AcostaS80

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I had not heard of the Drivesmart 7 is that it's full name ?, I did find this picture is this your model?
    https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Drivesmart-Lifetime-Maps-Traffic/dp/B07SW878X5

The replacement MUST be 3.7Volts, mAh = mili Amp hours and Wh = Watt hours are basically the size of the battery, but that is the problem an 820mAh / 3.03Wh battery is probably going to be physically smaller than a 1250mAh / 4.4Wh battery so it may not fit in the place of the old one, you should be fitting one with the same dimensions really but the higher mAh / Wh rating won't do any harm as long as the Volts is still 3.7

As you have opened your Drivesmart could you post a picture of the battery, there may be some numbers on it that can be used to identify it

Does the battery look like this? Click here

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 25, 2021
    AcostaS80 likes this.
  3. AcostaS80

AcostaS80

Yes, thats the right one. The unit anyway, not the battery, I bought it without a box and it is in tansit as of now, so cant get battery pics yet. On the back of the unit, it only says Drivesmart 7 lmt-s, the box does have a longer title, ex meaning exclusive to the distributor, i have also looked it up even tho i still don't understand the difference from a 7 to 71 or 65. Last night i replaced the battery in my drivesmart 51 and used an 1100mah, up from 800 i think and it was a bit more snug but it fit, closed up nice and works great. So i may just do that again with the 7. Thank you! i will be back if i have more questions.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    AcostaS80, Feb 25, 2021
  4. AcostaS80

AcostaS80

5202E36E-F0B6-4E40-A736-94D80E446139.png

AcostaS80, Feb 25, 2021
  5. AcostaS80

AcostaS80

Also, do I need to buy a specific charger for this? I plugged it into my laptop and into a 20w wall charger and it said the charger was not compatible and will not charge the device. Will the car charger suffice or should i look at buying an OEM charger? As of now i only have an aftermarket car charger which i will try soon. Thank you again.

AcostaS80, Mar 4, 2021
  6. AcostaS80

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

There are two reasons your unit may not charge : -

1) The charger is not supplying sufficient power, the unit requires about 1 Amp to power the screen and charge the battery, however a 20 Watt charger should be capable of supplying 4 Amps @ 5 Volts so if the 20 W charger won't charge the unit it may me reason 2 below

2) Some Garmin chargers are supplied with non standard cables, the USB plug that connects to the unit sometimes uses a usually unused fifth ID pin in the connector, this pin is in all mini USB plugs but is usually not connected to anything, Garmin uses this pin to place the unit in different modes only on some models of satnav, the Drivesmart 7 may require this 5 wire cable

There are more details on how Garmin use the ID pin here :-
    https://www.gps-forums.com/threads/why-do-i-have-satnav-charger-problems.47349/

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 4, 2021
    AcostaS80 likes this.
  7. AcostaS80

AcostaS80

Ok, thank you for the information! I will definitely apply it and locate the proper plug.

AcostaS80, Mar 4, 2021
  8. AcostaS80

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I have added some more details to my post #6 about Garmin's special cable and how to check how the unit is charging

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 4, 2021
    AcostaS80 likes this.
  9. AcostaS80

AcostaS80

Very helpful thank you. I lucked out, I used the car charger that I ordered and it works great! Now i just need the correct usb cable to charge in an outlet. This is a great unit, got a great deal on it and now hopefully it will help me and my family drive to Florida next month. I appreciate all your help!

AcostaS80, Mar 5, 2021
Ask a Question