Best Garmin to Get Started With

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by Mike, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Mike

Mike

Hello this is Mike and I need some help picking the right Garmin.
    I'm new to this so ease of use is a very high priority, which leads to my first specific question; In terms of learning to use and operate, which is easiest to learn to operate, touch screen or buttons, or is there any difference? Touchscreen vs button for ease of use?
    Second question; I have a ranch in south Texas. My main objective is to be able to input some points that will show my property boundaries, trails and some POI's and tell where I am in relation at any given time. I have read some threads talking about the 100K maps are pretty worthless, but I have no idea. About the only thing I'm going to see on my place is too lines so for what I want to do is that resolution really going to matter? What level of map detail do I need for what I want to do?
    Third; Based on my question above, is it worth buying a Garmin with the preloaded maps of better to buy something specific from someone else? Preloaded vs aftermarket maps?
    Fourth; I'm having some trouble understanding just which feature offered can be used to link two units so you can see where each other are?
    Final comment; I also plan on doing some hiking in Big Bend that I would like to use it for.

Thanks for your time and input and any recommendations for the best device to get started with to do some simple tasks would be welcomed.

Mike

Mike, Jul 25, 2015
  2. Mike

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Hi Mike, if your ranch is not shown (or has very little detail) on the maps Garmin sell, there is an alternative, Open Street maps are free and can be downloaded to Garmin devices, take a look at the map online HERE, you may find that your ranch is not on OSM either, but OSM can be edited by any member of the public, so you can drive / walk (or fly, not sure how big your ranch is :)) round your perimeter and upload the track to OSM, using this track you can edit in any detail you want, this will be visible to everyone who views OSM and can be downloaded into Basecamp or as a file that can be placed directly onto a micoSD card in a Garmin

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 19, 2015
Ask a Question