Best GPS Device to buy!

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by Jsam, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Jsam

Jsam

Hi everyone, I am new to this so I will try to do it correctly.. I live in México and would like to buy a GPS for my car. I think the 7" size might be a little big but maybe the 5" one would be better. I have gone to the Garmin Web page both in the US and México and are both the same and give little help as to choosing the right one. Even so they tell link you to Amazon.co, where there are many choices. However, many people say this was is the best and this one is fantastic and in the same vain others say it is crap. Don't buy. Who knows if these are reall reviews or paid reviewers. So I am asking here where people have them and use them and give an honest oponion I believe. I just want one that works well and can help guide me in the right direction. I know there are letters after the model like MT-S, LM etc. If it comes with Norht Am. including México that would be great. However,, I would like everything I need. Charger, Mounting and maybe buy maps of México. What ever info. you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your time.

Jsam, Feb 23, 2021
  2. Jsam

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Even the cheapest car satnav should come with charger and mount for windshield, all basic models will get you to a desired destination and more expensive models add other feature that you may not want like a bluetooth link to your cellphone to allow you answer phone calls or allow you to use voice commands so you can speak commands, you need to decide if you really want these extra features

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 23, 2021
  3. Jsam

Jsam

I knew you would reply as you seem to help everyone. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it. I will check them all out.

Jsam, Feb 23, 2021
  4. Jsam

Jsam

Another question what is your opinion of the Garmin Drive Smart 61 LMTS? I have bluetooth on my iPhone and don't really care about answering a cell phone call as i have that in my Honda. I just want a nice and easy use device. This seems ok and I can turn off what I don't want. Thanks again for your help.

Jsam, Feb 24, 2021
  5. Jsam

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

In the UK the Drive Smart 61 LMTS is £208 has a 7 inch screen, Bluetooth, Voice command, Wi-fi etc. but you say you want a 5 inch unit without Bluetooth etc.

If you don't want the extra features you could get the Drive 51 LMT-S for £75 (UK) with 5 inch screen Lifetime map updates, Lifetime Traffic updates etc. Both units have the same navigation / maps etc., so as I said before you need to decide if you want the extra features or a satnav that is half the price

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 24, 2021
  6. Jsam

Jsam

Thank you for your quick reply. I am glad you are glad to help. I like the idea of Bluetooth for uploading info. to the unit and can turn off what I don't need. I did read a lot of good reviews and some really bad ones too. You as an expert, what do you recommend? Do you know if they have one simalar with USB connection? I read where the batteries only last around 30min and have to be in the 12V connection of the car. I like USB over the unit that just plugs in to the 12V system. I am sorrry to ask so much. I just am confused and what a good one that works well and hassle free. I'm 74 so simple is good and it seems the 2 you mention based on the one I asked about are good. 7" is ok too. I feel asking you is the right thing to do as you are honest and helpful. Thank you so much..

Jsam, Feb 24, 2021
  7. Jsam

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Only you can decide which features are usefull to you, all Garmin satnavs have a USB connector on the back, the car charger takes in 12 / 24 Volts and converts it to 5Volts before feeding it to the USB connector, This connector can also be directly connected to the USB connector on a computer for charging and data transfer which will be much quicker than transferring data via Bluetooth

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 24, 2021
  8. Jsam

Jsam

Thank you so much for all your time and information. You made it easier to decide on which one will work for me. Take care and be safe and well.

Jsam, Feb 24, 2021
  9. Jsam

trekker

Hi guys,

I am also new. I want to have a gps for trekking the mountains and cave system in vietnam. What a device to buy? Here I can find a Etrex 20X by Garmin on the market. Is it good or you guys can recommend another one, please.

Thank you.

trekker, Apr 12, 2021
  10. Jsam

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Ask a Question