Best method to use GPSMAX 66s for geotagging landscape photos

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by astronut80920, May 1, 2021.

1. astronut80920

astronut80920

I just purchased a Garmin GPSMAP 66s and am in the process of figuring out how best to use it for geotagging landscape photos from my Canon DSLR. I formally used an Etrex 20x but needed a larger screen to view maps. I got a bit confused with the 66s with activities, tracks, etc as to which one to use for this. I think Tracks are probably the method to use because I want to end up with a .GPX file that I can ermbed onto my image file using external software like GPicSync because activities seem to be used for health and fitness uses. I guess I am asking how best to end up with geotagged photos with the 66s so I can tell exactly where the photo was taken. I haven't found much info on-line regarding this subject. any advice will be

Jim L

astronut80920, May 1, 2021
  2. astronut80920

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

All you need to do is to extract a Track from the 66s as a *.gpx file, it may help to set Track recording to time intervals rather than distance interval so that you will still get time stamps even when standing still, although the auto setting usually does a pretty good job

It is also worth taking a photo of your 66s screen showing the time / date, this is useful because the time on your camera may be inaccurate and the time difference between actual (GPS) time and camera time can be entered into most geotagging programs in order to synchronize them

Nuvi-Nebie, May 1, 2021
Ask a Question