Best practice for enabling maps on eTrek

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by stubbs69, May 26, 2022.

1. stubbs69

stubbs69

I have just started using an eTrek 32x and have the additional Garmin SD card with the Full AU/NZ topo maps V6. ATM the enabled maps on the unit are the default Worldwide Basemap, TopoActive AUS/NZ and the Garmin DEM map AUS/NZ. And then there’s the TOPO Australia and New Zealand V6 from the SD card also enabled.

If there’re all enabled, how do I know which one I am actually using? Also, is it best practice to switch off maps that aren’t being used… or do they all work together? I’ve been happy with the V6 full topo used previously in a 35T, but now that there’s TopoActive built-in, it looks a decent option too. I primarily use the unit for bushwalking and bikepacking. It seems to me that bushwalking is probably best with the V6 Full topo maps (more detailed contours for eg.) but bikepacking may be better off using TopoActive? Any thoughts?

Bit confused now there are options :) Thanks in advance.

stubbs69, May 26, 2022
  2. stubbs69

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

There are quite a few 'Priorities' used to determine which map is visible, some posts claim that the type of map takes priority eg :-
    • City Navigator
    • City Select
    • MetroGuide
    • BlueChart
    • Fishing Hotspots
    • Water Waypoints and Lights
    • Road & Recreation
    • WorldMap
    There is also an internal map priority / transparency setting flag embedded into some maps, some can be altered by the user and some not

At the end of the day it is much simpler to disable all maps and then just enable the one(s)* you want, this way it is always obvious which map you are using at any one time

*Some maps can work with overlays, eg:- a road map + a transparent contour overlay

Nuvi-Nebie, May 26, 2022
    stubbs69 likes this.
  3. stubbs69

stubbs69

Thank you @Nuvi-Nebie Is there a consensus about the Full HERE TOPO maps v TopoActive? I'm guessing I just need to try them both... I'll have a crack at comparing on the weekend.

stubbs69, May 26, 2022
Ask a Question