Beware TeleType WorldNav Products

Discussion in 'Other GPS Devices' started by nigels1, Aug 2, 2011.

1. nigels1

nigels1

I bought a TeleType WorldNav 5200 GPS in April 2011 to use when towing my RV and, as instructed, registered the product on line.

It did not work correctly from day one, several major problems with data, conflict between verbal and visual instructions and it kept freezing. I complained. They sent me a patch on a micro chip, it resolved only one of the problems. After a few weeks it froze and this time would not reset. I complained again and they promised, in writing, to refund me, they sent me a return authorisation code, return form and details where to post the product to receive the refund. Because of their promise to refund me I bought a new Rand McNally RVND 5510. I also informed them that I would do this and returned the unit to them.

After two weeks I asked why I had not received my refund, first they lied and said that they could not find my email address, (they have had 11 emails from me), now they say I can't have a refund because I bought it from one of their retailers and not from them direct! There is nothing on their website or sales literature to say that I would be prejudiced if I bought from one of their retailers.

They say it is now repaired, (oh yes!), and wanted to return it to me. I reminded them that because they had promised me a refund I had now bought another GPS. They then suggested that I try and sell it on Ebay! Can you believe that! (Frankly I could not give it away knowing what junk it is). They also said if I did not agree that after 90 days they would destroy it!

I have made a formal complaint to BBB, Better Business Bureau, I will update this post with progress regularly.

PS. Since using the Rand McNally I now realise how useless (when it was working) the TeleType WorldNav GPS was. It is not an RV GPS at all but a Truck GPS with outdated and flawed software with a few, mostly irrelevant, RV features added to the software.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
    nigels1, Aug 2, 2011
Ask a Question