Binary feed from Garmin 10x

Discussion in 'GPS Technical Discussion' started by rb224315, May 4, 2013.

1. rb224315

rb224315

My goal: I would like to save GPS data to allow for later post processing. I am attempting to use the Garmin 10x device I already have, but if the programming is simplified or the feature set is enlarged by moving to a different device, I'm ok with getting another one. If it's preferable to use a different device, which one do you recommend?

I have written an Android app to connect to the 10x and grab the NMEA feed. The 10x tech doc, Appendix A, says that binary phase output is available but I have as yet been unable to get anything other than NMEA from the device. I have used different Sirf-related programs to confirm that binary is available but I am guessing Garmin built the device to support only their protocol + NMEA. Can anyone confirm this? If so, what do I need to do to get the device into Garmin mode?

If the 10x is simple enough to work with, I assume (based on what I gather from the tech manual) that I would need to send the commands in RS232 format as specified in Appendix A. Does this sound right?

Tech manual:
    www8.garmin.com/manuals/GarminMobile10forlaptops_PDAs_TechnicalSpecifications.pdf (Remove the space from near the end of the URL. For some reason it renders with a space.)

Thanks in advance for your help. So far this has been a pretty interesting project and I hope I can get it done with the equipment I already have.

rb224315, May 4, 2013
Ask a Question