bizarre 62s power off problem

Discussion in 'GPS Technical Discussion' started by michael62s, May 23, 2017.

1. michael62s

michael62s

Sent my Garmin 62s to Garmin for a screen change. They sent me back a new device. I began to download my maps onto it and the computer suddenly stopped recognizing it. Garmin gave me some advice on how to get the device recognized again, but it was something that had never happened to the previous device and I was a bit concerned. Anyhow I put the device away and 4 days ago I arrived in Italy in the mountains and started using the device with the downloaded Garmin supplied map. Shock horror it keeps saying it has lost its power supply and would I like to continue on battery power, after which, irrespective of what I do, it switches off. This happens continuously, sometimes every minute, other times it might last 30 minutes. I have changed batteries and battery types to no avail, also did a reset. Three emails to Garmin and no response. Today I realized that at nights it stays on longer, as it also does in the early morning. Today at 6am it would last as long as 10 minutes before powering off, from 8am up to about 11am I was on a very cold glacier and the Garmin stayed on! When the sun became too intense and the temperature rose it started powering off. However, if I shoved it into the snow for 5 minutes then i could get it to work for hours afterwards. Later in the evening I found that when I left the backing plate off the Garmin worked ok. Definitely appears that the problem is temperature related. I am desperate as I changed the screen glass and brought the map especially for this trip of 14 days, off which I am now entering the 4th day. I am really starting to feel resentment against Garmin. Any help appreciated.

michael62s, May 23, 2017
  2. michael62s

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It does sound like you have a case to ask for a replacement unit, the GPSmap60 (and propably the 62) has a secret mode that may be of use to you, from off, press and hold ENTER then press Power until a data screen is displayed, this screen includes an internal temperature reading, you so will know at what temperature it turns off, long power off and then back on for normal use

Nuvi-Nebie, May 24, 2017
  3. michael62s

michael62s

Thanks. Garmin emailed me today with various instructions to try out. If none of them work then I will follow your recommendation.

michael62s, May 24, 2017
  4. michael62s

michael62s

Followed Garmins instructions, checking the software which turned out to be ok. So that was followed by a reset and a one hour wait with the device out on the balcony. Did not solve the problem so I am now checking the temperature. I did have an initial look at the data that came up when pressing start and enter, found that "bmap chk" has "fail" next to it. Any idea what that means?

michael62s, May 26, 2017
  5. michael62s

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If the unit will stay awake when is in Test mode (ENTER then press Power), then it may not be temperature related, there are some reports that this can happen when new maps are installed due to the unit finding a problem with the map, the bmap may stand for base map (this is a guess), but if correct it would also point to a map problem.

Did you do a full Reset?, this is performed by ENTER + PAGE then press Power >> Reset All Data = Yes, if not this is worth a try, it will return the unit to factory default and delete all your saved data.

If you still have a problem I would try to remove any maps you have installed just to see if it makes the unit stable and if you still have problems ask for a replacement unit

Nuvi-Nebie, May 27, 2017
  6. michael62s

michael62s

Yes I dd that, twice. Strange thing is that in both cases during the reset a message popped up saying "cannot unlock map" with the box marked "enter" for me to press. There is no other option but to press it if I want to continue. I thought a reset should have got rid of that.
    Can rule out temperature, today it was working at 30 degrees centigrade for about 4 hours before it starting switching off.

michael62s, May 27, 2017
  7. michael62s

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If you have access to a computer running Garmin Basecamp, there is an option to 'Manage Maps' this will bring up a screen that allows you to unlock maps, after giving you the lock status

Nuvi-Nebie, May 27, 2017
  8. michael62s

michael62s

Right, just been there, two maps are listed, both referred to as "not lockable" which makes no sense as an attempt at a reset comes up with the advice that a map cannot be unlocked.

michael62s, May 27, 2017
  9. michael62s

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If you have loaded the two maps you refer to, (and you have backups of them), I would try remove them using 'Manage Maps', It may make the unit stable, I have A Garmin Nuvi that turns off when I install Open Street Maps files onto it, there is something in these maps the Nuvi Doesn't like, sometimes it will accept the maps when the Nuvi is stationary but if I drive to certain locations the Nuvi finds a problem displaying the new area and turns off

Nuvi-Nebie, May 27, 2017
  10. michael62s

michael62s

The only map I loaded is the Treking Italy one, which I also have as a bakup on sim card. It has occurred to me that it was not temperature change that was shutting down the device but actual movement to different locations much as you describe. I tried to test this by removing the sim card but realized that the loaded map is still there. I can disable the loaded map which did not help so maybe that is not enough and it should come off completely. I cannot find an option on the Map Manager to remove it.

michael62s, May 27, 2017
  11. michael62s

michael62s

At last, Garmin said I should send it in for a replacement. In fact I had two different people from Garmin contacting me. They are sayinf EXACTLY the same things, cutting and pasting from a script. Freaking me out a bit. Wish I had not brought anything other than the cheapest most basic GPS from them.

michael62s, Jun 1, 2017
Ask a Question