Calculate miles traveled by state om track file

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by GreatPlainsEV, Jul 9, 2019.

1. GreatPlainsEV

GreatPlainsEV

Hello,
    I am working n designing a driving challenge across several U.S. states. I need to be able to take GPS track files (such as GPX) and get out a spreadsheet csv file detailing how many miles were driven in each state. Having the table list what highway those miles were driven on would be a plus.

Example:
    Miles, State, Hwy
    89, ND, U.S. 2
    200, ND, Interstate 29
    45, SD, Interstate 29

Is there a software for Windows, or Android or a web application that can do this? I looked at GPS Visualizer but I don't see a way to do it from there and have had no luck identifying other possibilities.

Thanks.

GreatPlainsEV, Jul 9, 2019
  2. GreatPlainsEV

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

A gpxTrack file only contains a list of waypounts (Latitude and Longitude) points plus altitude, everything else is calculated. Garmin Basecamp will give you end to end mileage or any point to any point mileage from an installed Track and you could read from the installed map which state/s and which highway/s the Track is on, but all this would have to be done manually, I don't know a way of automating it

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 9, 2019
  3. GreatPlainsEV

GreatPlainsEV

I was afraid someone would say manual was the only known option. When there is the possibility of a few hundred files being submitted and I have a regular job doing other things, that makes the whole project unworkable. :(

Thanks for the help though.

GreatPlainsEV, Jul 10, 2019
Ask a Question