Can people track you using your gps tracker

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by stevenn21, Aug 28, 2017.

1. stevenn21

stevenn21

if i buy a gps tracker like the eTrex® 20x or the Garmin GPSMAP 64 for hiking can other people track you using the gps?

if i buy a hiking gps i need to know if people can use it to follow me? just to clarify i dont want people to track me or find out my location using a gps tracker

stevenn21, Aug 28, 2017
  2. stevenn21

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

No, the Etrex20x and the GPSMAP64 are not GPS trackers and can't be tracked remotely.

A GPS receiver stores track information on the unit itself, it does not transmit data of any kind to any other device, some more expensive GPS units have additional radio technology built in so they can send data over say a built-in cell phone link or maybe to another GPS, but this is not part of the GPS's normal function and the two units you mention don't have this feature.

The satellites that the GPS uses for navigation don't know where your GPS receiver is, they transmit their own location to your GPS and don't receive anything from your GPS at all

A GPS tracker has a GPS receiver + a cellphone with sim card, data is sent over the cellphone network

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 28, 2017
  3. stevenn21

stevenn21

what about the Garmin eTrex 30x

stevenn21, Aug 29, 2017
  4. stevenn21

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

No, Garmin don't make that sort of 'tracker', even GPS trackers can't be remotely tracked without the owner's knowlege and permission because the person doing the remote tracking would need information supplied by the owner of the device

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 29, 2017
  5. stevenn21

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Posts that advertise GPS trackers or any other product will be removed from this forum

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 11, 2017
Ask a Question