Charging Drivesmart 61 with USB

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Madeira_Jon, Apr 14, 2022.

1. Madeira_Jon

Madeira_Jon

Having purchased a Garmin Drivesmart 61, I received 2 USB cables in the pack, one long and the other short.. However when connect the Satnav with the long one to a USB HUB, I received the message that this cable cannot charge the Satnav. But using the short cable will charge it
    I also get the same negative message with other USB cables so it would appear that only this short one will charge the internal battery! Anyone else have this experience?

Madeira_Jon, Apr 14, 2022
  2. Madeira_Jon

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

First thing, don't use a USB hub, some supply reduced power and some don't supply power at all, only data access.

If (using the same USB outlet) some cables work and some don't then I would suggest that the DriveSmart61 may be going into different modes because the cables are not the same, some cables are power only, some are data only, some are both, Garmin also use a fifth connector on the satnav end of thr cable to place it into certain 'modes'

Have a look at the post here :-
    https://www.gps-forums.com/threads/garmin-going-into-standby-mode.46568/#post-228534

Nuvi-Nebie, Apr 15, 2022
  3. Madeira_Jon

Madeira_Jon

Thank you for the prompt reply. My grandson has the same problem with his 61 satnav as well. What surprises me is that the "long" USB cable which is supplied with the satnav also will not re-charge. However I have ordered 2 which are claimed to be for Garmin, from Ebay.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    Madeira_Jon, Apr 15, 2022
Ask a Question