Chartplotter 550 will not connect with satellites

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Haminixon, May 17, 2019.

1. Haminixon

Haminixon

My chartplotter switches on but will not conect to satellites.

Haminixon, May 17, 2019
  2. Haminixon

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You haven't supplied any information about your Chartplotter e.g.:-

1) Does it display a sky view with satellites in it?
    2) Does the unit display the correct time / Date?
    3) If the displayed date is incorrect, what date is displayed?
    4) When was the last time it got a satellite 'Fix'?

I have created a Page with some General things to look for, so that might help, here is the link :-
    https://www.gps-forums.com/threads/why-wont-my-gps-get-a-satellite-fix.46981/

Nuvi-Nebie, May 17, 2019
  3. Haminixon

Tommo812

I am having the same problem with a Lowrance Out&Back. It is about 8-9 years old and in great condition because I hardly used it. It was working up until about Feb. 2019 then suddenly stopped acquiring satellites. I contacted Lowrance but they said they stopped supporting this unit, which is lame in my opinion. However, it seems odd why it would just stop acquiring satellites. I've tried factory resets but still no luck. Any thoughts?

Tommo812, Jul 9, 2019
  4. Haminixon

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Hi, I thought it better to reply to your question here rather than in a new thread, please answer the questions that I asked Haminixon in #2 above (you only answered no 4), as without more information anyone trying to help will find it very difficult

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 14, 2019
  5. Haminixon

Tommo812

Hi,
    1. I get a global view with satellites flashing in grey and orange but none in green, which is what is needed to connect. I also get the message "No GPS Fix".
    2. Yes it shows the correct time but I do not have a date display on this unit that I know of.
    3. I do not have a date display on this unit that I know of. If there is somewhere that displays the date I am not aware of it.
    4. The last time I got a satellite fix was around Jan-Feb of this year.

This unit is a Lowrance, Endura Out&Back. The information I get when I press and hold the Menu page is this: v1.5.95881, which I believe is the software version. Copyright 2009 Navico Holding AS, NHH01C-37-G1-243, 2009 NAVTEQ, New Zealand data sourced from LINZ and Critchlow Ltd. data. Usied with permission. All rights reserved. AccuTerra is a registered trademark of Intermap Technologies, Inc. Used with permission; The Whereigo logo is trademark of Groundspeak Inc. Used with permission.

Additionally, at the top of the screen it shows a battery icon, which is full green and red "X" which is the satellite connection. The unit used to flash red then green on a little light on the bottom of the unit when I turned it on. The green indicated a satellite connection. It no longer goes to the green flashing light.

This is not critical but it just seems odd that it stopped working all of sudden. I used the unit for Geocaching and it just stopped connecting to satellites during one of our treks. I appreciate your help.

Tommo812, Jul 16, 2019
  6. Haminixon

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I don't have this unit so what follows are just general observations, it's a pity you can't get a display of the date as this can point to the Rollover Problem, you may be able to add the Date in a Data Field using Map Page >> Options >> Page Settings or may be in the Elevation screen (See picture):-

Screenshot_20190716-082658.jpg

I couldn't find any reference to 'orange' on the satellite page, do the orange ones have signal strength numbers in the bar (grey ones = 0)?

2019-07-16_10.46.19.jpg

As the unit is only about 10 years old, I would have thought the Rollover Problem would have been fixed, also this would effect all units, not just yours. The only other possibility I can think of is that the internal oscillator has drifted away from it's normal frequency, this can be corrected with info. from the satellites but if it's too far out it can't get info. from the satellites in the first place

I would try leaving the unit outside for as long as possible, may be at extremes of temperature (when it's hot or cold outside), also read the notes in my link in post #2 above

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 16, 2019
  7. Haminixon

Tommo812

I could not find anywhere to add a date. However, the unit is acting strange. When I turn it on and go to the satellite page, it will start bringing up the satellites and a red bar across the top states No GPS Fix, then the unit will flash to a blue bar stating 2D GPS Fix, then green stating 3D GPS Fix, then back to red-No GPS Fix. Sometimes it will actually stay on the green page and I am able to use the unit and view my location on the map. However, most times it just goes to the red page and on this page it shows grey bars, some with the strengths indicated (8 satellites) and others with 0, (4 satellites). The satellites on the globe picture show up in grey and some in orange. If the unit stays on the green page then all is good. I went to the Lowrance website and downloaded the 1.5.1 version of the Endura software and copied it to the unit but this did not help. I don't know what else to try. I'd be willing to send the unit to you, depending on the shipping cost. Thanks again for your help.

Tommo812, Jul 18, 2019
  8. Haminixon

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It's very unusual for a unit to get a satellite 'fix' and then revert back to no fix, it suggests some sort of intermittent problem, I have seen similar problems caused by a faulty internal battery, this is a small backup battery used to retain data when the main battery is removed. Other possible problem areas could be a 'stuck down' button or a touch screen that permanently detects a 'touch'

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 18, 2019
  9. Haminixon

Tommo812

I've decided to give up on trying to figure it out. I've since obtained a Garmin Etrex 20X and it works great. Thank you so much for all your advice and help. This is a great Forum and I will continue to use it to gain information.

Tommo812, Jul 21, 2019
Ask a Question