Cigar lighter not working

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by MisterW, Sep 5, 2022.

1. MisterW

MisterW

I have a Garmin 660 that I use in motorhome. I plug it into my cigar lighter for power but, the other day, it stopped working. I can plug it into my RAM 1500 lighter and it works just fine. I also have a brake control that works just fine in the Ram but not in the coach. However, I have a lighter/USB device and my dashcam gets power just fine. I also can charge my phone using the lighter/USB device. I've checked all my fuses but, it I had a fuse problem, nothing should work. I'm getting 12V to the lighter and I've troubleshot this to death. My next option is to buy a new lighter but....BOTH of them will not power my Garmin. Any suggestions are very welcome. Thank you in advance.

MisterW, Sep 5, 2022
  2. MisterW

Utah Wanderer

do you have another GPS cord to test in the lighter outlet? - if your dash cam and USB device get power from the same outlet, I'd suspect the cord next.

Utah Wanderer, Sep 5, 2022
  3. MisterW

MisterW

I forgot to mention that I bought a new power cord from Garmin. That doesn't do the trick for me either. The confusing part is why it works in the Ram and not the coach but the dashcam works.

MisterW, Sep 5, 2022
  4. MisterW

MisterW

Halleluiah ! I found the problem. The fuse labeled "cigarette lighter, 20A" is not the one controlling it ! It's the 4th one over that says "Aux power...20A"...or something like that. I pulled that one out and BING...broken. Now everything works fine.

MisterW, Sep 8, 2022
    Utah Wanderer likes this.
  5. MisterW

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

This is the confusing part, was the 'lighter/USB device', the 'dashcam' and the 'phone' all getting power from the same faulty cigar lighter ? or is the 'lighter/USB device' a separate 12 Volt power outlet (on a different fuse)

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 8, 2022
  6. MisterW

MisterW

After going through all my trials, I went back and plugged in my phone and, it turned out it was NOT charging. And the dashcam stopped after a few minutes too. So, the lighter device was never working at all on any devices that I plugged in. That is, until I found the right fuse.

MisterW, Sep 8, 2022
Ask a Question