Columbus GPS V-900 question

Discussion in 'GPS Technical Discussion' started by Estam, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Estam

Estam

Hoping someone can help. I have a device which is a gps data logger. A Columbus v-900 which I need to run an update program.

Plugging into the USB Win 7 doesn't recognize the device even when using the correct data cable, just comes up with "USB Device Not Recognize". I downloaded the files needed with instructions and the first line asks to "View the COM port and set it to COM6 but unable to find where to do this
    Many thanks for any suggestions

Estam, Oct 8, 2020
  2. Estam

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I'm not sure that you have the correct instuctions, a COM port is an RS232 serial data port found on older computers and laptops, it has been replaced by the USB port, older GPS devices had a COM port instead of a USB, you can still connect these devices to modern computers by purchasing a Serial to USB cable, when used the older GPS is connected to a Serial connector which in turn is connected to a converter module with a USB connector which is plugged into the computer, when using a Serial to USB cable the computer sees the converter as an old COM port and will show a COM port (in this case COM 6), connected to the GPS, Take a look at this link Click HERE, it shows a Serial to USB device in fig. 5, you would select this device on your computer by selecting Start >> Control Panel >> System >> Hardware >> Device Manager >> Ports

com-port.jpg

Note : This is Windows XP

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 9, 2020
Ask a Question