Controlling Street Name behavior

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Stephen Mendes, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Stephen Mendes

Stephen Mendes

Hi Guys,

I have owned many models of Garmin handhelds (I have been HIKING for over 25 years)

One of the "features" that I liked was "when walking along a road at maximum overzoom (road I am walking on is the ONLY road on the display) the road NAME would keep appearing at the top of screen travelling down the screen as I walk and when it disappears at the bottom it reappears at the top and this would continue until I encounter a X road or a branch Y road (when other street names would appear)

I have recently bought GPSMAP 66st and it's awesome accuracy..... HOWEVER street name no longer travel down the display as I walk along "lonely" road ...... all I have is a line on the display...... disappointing because it means I have to zoom out and rotate the device hoping to see the street name I want.

I have the street name DETAIL option set to "most"

Is there any other setting that controls this ? anything else I can do ?

A way to make the unit show ALL names ALL the time .... without "adaptive declutter" which often frustrates and does NOT show the name I want to see.

Thanks for any help you can provide

Stephen Mendes, Jan 9, 2021
  2. Stephen Mendes

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Have you compared the 66st to an older unit to see how they both display the same street name?, I would expect the units to display street name info the same as long as both units are displaying the same road on the same map (version), the street name is not in a fixed location, it is just associated with a particular length of road, where the name appears is governed by the rendering software and is affected by zoom level and other items that need to be displayed, I.e. it finds an empty space to place the name In

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 9, 2021
Ask a Question