Custom Routing Capable GPS

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Viragoxv, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Viragoxv

Viragoxv

I currently have a Nuvi 2557, and LOVE it, but really miss being able to import MapQuest customized maps.

Is there any GPS, software, or ????? which would allow me to EASILY create a customized route, whether in MapQuest or elsewhere, then export to a 2557-like GPS?

Thank you!!! Michael

Viragoxv, Oct 1, 2019
  2. Viragoxv

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Garmin Basecamp will allow you create a customized Route and download it to your 2557, it will also allow you to dowload both Garmin supplied and third party maps to your 2557, however the latest version 4.7.0 requires a 'fix' to added in order to download non Garmin maps, see link Click HERE

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 1, 2019
  3. Viragoxv

Viragoxv

Thank you VERY much for your reply!

Perhaps I'm just not well-versed on BaseCamp, but I can't see any easy way to lay out a custom route. MapQuest is SO easy to use, and building a custom route from the suggested route is SO easy using the drag and drop MapQuest feature. Maybe I'm asking for too much, but it seems such a shame that Garmin doesn't appear to have such an easily customized routing method.

Again, if I've missed something, I'd appreciate the recalibration!

Thank you!!! Michael

Viragoxv, Oct 1, 2019
  4. Viragoxv

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Basecamp is not the easiest program to use but probably does do what you want if you can figure out how, here are some steps to customising a route :-
    1. Select the 'New Route' from the top icon bar of Basecamp
    2. click on the start and end points of Route and exit using Escape key
    3. With 'New Route' and 'Route Title' highlighted move mouse to the part of the Route you want to change
    4. Right click at this point to reveal a pull down menu
    5. Select 'Insert Into Route'
    6. click on map feature you want added to the Route
    7. The Route will be re-drawn to include the new shaping point
    cust-route.jpg

Having added a shaping point there will be a new option to 'Move a Route Point', you can also add more shaping points and then move / delete any selected shaping points using this pull down menu

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 1, 2019
  5. Viragoxv

Viragoxv

Thanks to all for the insightful comments! I'm working my way through BaseCamp, and plan to try the option mentioned above. I have been able to create a route and customize it but as was mentioned, it's not a simple task!
    More later.....Thank you! Michael

Viragoxv, Oct 5, 2019
  6. Viragoxv

IncrêdîblêFôx

Bâcâ is not the best software me thinks. But for the rest Gôrmin always acts as an overachiever. Alreadey!

IncrêdîblêFôx, Oct 8, 2019
Ask a Question