Diappearing Garmin TOPO U.S. 24K North Central

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by SD Rockman, Oct 29, 2016.

1. SD Rockman

SD Rockman

I have purchased a Garmin GPSmap 64st gps. I have a Garmin TOPO U.S. 24K North Central map DVD. When I tried to install everything using the setup.exe on the DVD it installed but didn't tell me where it was going. I am running Windows 7 64bit. I tried to find it in both the Garmin directories I have but no luck. Does anyone know where it is supposed to install to? Can I just to a copy and paste to my gps? If so, do I copy to the gps internal memory or to the microSD card. I realize that these are elementary questions that have probably been answered somewhere elsi

SD Rockman, Oct 29, 2016
  2. SD Rockman

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The additional TOPO map will be stored on the microSD card, there will be a single file called /GARMIN/GMAPPSUPP.IMG, this file can contain multiple maps, but you can't have more than one file and you can't change its name. It is possible to copy and paste to your GPS but the file must be in the correct format and it must be called GMAPPSUPP.IMG, if you copy and paste a new GMAPPSUPP.IMG file to your GPS it will replace any existing file of the same name and you will lose the maps contained in the original GMAPPSUPP.IMG.

You can add a new map without losing any existing maps by using a computer program like Garmin Basecamp, this can copy the existing map and add it to a new map, downloading these two maps to your GPS will create a new GMAPPSUPP.IMG file containing both new and old maps

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 1, 2016
  3. SD Rockman

SD Rockman

I guess I didn't make myself clear. I was trying to install my DVD copy of Garmin TOPO U.S 24K North Central onto my computer running under Windows 7 64bit. I tried it twice using the setup.exe on the disk. Both times it never indicated where it was installing or give me a choice where I wanted it installed. After the installation, I tried to find it but my Windows 7 search showed no files or folder by any of the names on the DVD. The installation only took a few minutes. When I tried to install the same files onto a micro SD, my computer said it would take over 4 hours. I decided I didn't want my DVD drive to run that long continuously. I have since ordered the same files on a micro SD from Garmin. Hopefully that will solve my problem. It has shipped and should be here in a few days. Time will tell if it will be useful.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2016
    SD Rockman, Nov 1, 2016
  4. SD Rockman

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Ah O.K., so the question is where are the map files installed onto the computer, got it, once the files are on the computer an install onto microSD would not need the DVD disk to be present, because the copy would be from the hard disk rather than the DVD. In order to to view the maps on your computer (or to copy to microSD), you would need a program installed on your computer that can use the map files, i.e. Garmin Basecamp as mentioned above, As long as Basecamp can 'see' the files, their location is not really important because the files are re-packaged by Basecamp before transfer, the files can be in various formats, e.g. *.img etc. so that is what you would have to search for, possibly in locations such as :-
    C:/Garmin/maps/topo/filename.img

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 1, 2016
Ask a Question