DriveSmart 61 LMT-S WIFI

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by wa3pnt, Nov 7, 2017.

1. wa3pnt

wa3pnt

I just received my DriveSmart 61, and absolutely love it. It replaced an 8 year old NUVI 3790 that is still working well with the exception of the battery, which will not hold a charge.

As advertised, the DriveSmart connects with my WIFI Router, and performs updates.

I was thinking that it would be nice to have the DriveSmart connect via WIFI to my computer, so that I could use Basecamp via WIFI. However, I have not been able to make the connection. I have found the IP address that the Router assigned to the DriveSmart, but when I attempt to connect to that address I receive the error that the device is not responding.

Connecting via a USB cable of course works.

Has anyone been able to connect their computer to the DriveSmart via WIFI?

RodeoGeorge

wa3pnt, Nov 7, 2017
  2. wa3pnt

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The Wifi link is for map / software update without a computer, but obviously Basecamp requires a computer anyway so there would be no advantage to using the Wifi link for this. Also the DriveSmart would require a USB power cable for prolonged use, so you need the cable connection

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 7, 2017
  3. wa3pnt

wa3pnt

I am well aware of the intended use of the WIFI.
    What I was hoping to do, as an example, is after doing work on waypoints and routes in Basecamp, quickly connect to the 61 via WIFI and send the data.
    It would only take a few minutes, and there would be no need for a USB charging connection to do that.

RodeoGeorge

wa3pnt, Nov 7, 2017
  4. wa3pnt

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

For the 61 to do what you require it would have to have a web interface, FTP interface, telnet interface or something similar associated with it's IP address so that you could 'log into' it, as far as I am aware Garmin units do-not have these interfaces over Wifi, so ain't gonna work

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 7, 2017
Ask a Question