Drivesmart 65 Wi-fi Password

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Gozoman, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Gozoman

Gozoman

I've just bought a used Drivesmart 65 from a seller on eBay. It's in great condition with no scratches or marks at all. It powers up just fine but when I try to connect it to my wireless home network it says it can't make a connection, to check the password and try again. I have tried about 8 times but it just won't connect to my network. I use a long password, 22 characters with a mixture of upper case, lower case, numbers and special symbols. Could that be a problem? I'm also a bit concerned about the battery as I fully charged it last night and then switched it off. When I switched it on today it said battery low which surprised me. I have fully charged it again and I'll check tomorrow to see what condition the battery is in. The main problem is not being able to connect to my wireless network so does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be. I need to know in case I have to return it for a refund. Cheers.

Gozoman, Jul 5, 2019
  2. Gozoman

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I would suggest that you temporarily change the wi-fi setup on your router, you could set the wi-fi security to 'open' or maybe setup a second SSID with a very basic password e.g. SSID2 = TEST, WPA2 password = 12345678, you can then see if the Drivesmart65 can login with this simplified password

This should prove if the problem is your use of special symbols, I am not suggesting that you leave your router setup like this permanently as that would be a security risk, but there would be no harm in doing this for a small amount of time before putting it back as it was

As far as the battery goes, the unit is not new and it probably needs replacing

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 5, 2019
    Gozoman likes this.
  3. Gozoman

Gozoman

Thanks for that. I had considered trying that but didn't want to upset other devices that are attached to my home network and to be honest it's so long since I made any changes I'm not sure how to go about it! I'm not the most tech savvy person. I know the password is correct as I've tested it so I just can't figure out why the Garmin won't connect.

Gozoman, Jul 5, 2019
  4. Gozoman

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Temporarily setting the wi-fi security to 'open' won't upset anything else trying to use the router, that's why I suggested it rather than changing the password on your router, the usual problem is that the device trying to get into your router won't allow the 'special characters' to be entered in the first place i.e. they are not on the keyboard at all, however I'm guessing in your case they are selectable, so the only other problem I can think of are the characters that are very similar e.g. hyphen and underscore or grave accent, single quote and acute accent seen here between As :-

specials.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 5, 2019
    Gozoman likes this.
  5. Gozoman

Gozoman

No I don't use anything like that, in fact the only special character I have in the password is ?, which is why I wondered if that was the problem. So I went into my router setup page and set security settings from WPA2/PSK to disable. When I then entered the wi-fi set-up page on the Garmin it connected automatically to my home network. I then went into updates and it downloaded software updates wirelessly. I then went back to my router set-up page and re-set my security settings to WPA2/PSK and when I checked back with the Garmin it was back to 'Cannot connect to network'! Does that give any clue to what the problem is?

Quick update. When I re-set my security settings to WPA2/PSK it automatically generated an 8 character network key. When I entered this into the Garmin as a password it connected to my network. I assume I can change this to a more secure key at anytime or should I leave well enough alone!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    Gozoman, Jul 5, 2019
  6. Gozoman

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The only problem with having a new password on the router is that you will have to change to this new password on every device that connects to your router (which may be a lot of devices), as long as you don't mind doing all the changes that's fine

If I were you I would change the 8 character wi-fi password to a longer one and make sure this longer password works with the Drivesmart 65, if that works O.K., you can them change to this longer password on all the other things that login to the router

It may be that 22 characters is too many for the drivesmart 65, but you can try a different lot (without the "?") and when you're satisfied it works, Change all the other things that log in to match this new password

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 5, 2019
    Gozoman likes this.
  7. Gozoman

Gozoman

Yep, that sounds like a plan. Might contact Garmin first and see if there is a limit to the size of a password or the use of special characters. Just glad it's actually connected.

Gozoman, Jul 5, 2019
  8. Gozoman

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It looks like Garmin are saying you can use up to 63 characters ! !, so it might be the "?" :-
    https://support.garmin.com/en-ZA/?faq=aC6mOWyuda1ClsYQ22lgyA

It may be the time it takes to enter 22 characters is too long, it looks like there is a time limit on the Garmin (See note 7 in the link)

BTW
    I have changed your thread title to add "Wi-fi Password"

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 6, 2019
  9. Gozoman

Gozoman

It's possible that it was timing out too as I was being super careful entering it to ensure every character was right!

Gozoman, Jul 6, 2019
Ask a Question