Drivesmart 76 - Garmin lack of Interest

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by RGP, Nov 27, 2022.

1. RGP

RGP

I have used Garmin Sat Navs for many years but my new Drivesmart 76 is disappointing - even dangerous! On a recent Australian road trip, we found over 100 errors, several of which forced us to make U Turns while towing a caravan! Caravan parks were in the wrong location, it took us down dead-end roads, "Unpaved Road" avoidances were ignored, roadside "Rest Areas" did not exist, the "Fuel Up Ahead" display told us to go 40km off our route when there was a major fuel stop only 15km ahead, "Lodgings" were just bitumen rest areas, the distance to locations suddenly changed while driving (e.g. changed from 18km ahead to 43km!), a Fuel station showing as 40km ahead when it was actually 125km, etc, etc.
    I reported these issues to Garmin but they told me they were due to errors in HERE Technologies mapping data and that any other brand of GPS device would show the same errors. However, every check I made at :-
    Code:
    wego.HERE.com 

gave perfectly accurate results - I therefore do not believe that the problems are in the HERE data. Garmin then told me it must be a fault in my device's hardware but when I checked several of these issues in Garmin's Basecamp software, it had the same errors. I therefore believe that the problems are with Garmin and their interpretation and categorising of the mapping data

Rather than making any effort to understand or even resolve these issues, Garmin offered me a refund.
    I love the design and features of the Drivesmart and really don't want to change but I need a Sat Nav that I can trust to give accurate information.
    I am very interested to hear if anyone else has had similar issues.

RGP, Nov 27, 2022
  2. RGP

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If you can see the same errors on a computer running Garmin Basecamp when the Drivesmart 76 is playing no part at all in what you see on the screen then it's hard to see how it can be the fault of the Drivesmart 76 and I'm guessing that any of your older Garmin products - while using the same map - would also display the errors that you can see in Basecamp, I think this does point to map errors

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 27, 2022
  3. RGP

RGP

I agree absolutely!
    Regarding my previous Nuvi devices - they did give accurate directions and locations in almost every case, however, I think that was before they switched to HERE Mapping. However, since HERE's own navigation tool on their website gives accurate directions, I can't see how it's the mapping data that's at fault.
    I can only think that it's to do with how the data is interpreted.
    My main problem now is what to buy when my refund comes through!

RGP, Nov 27, 2022
  4. RGP

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I am not sure when Garmin started using HERE maps but they were definitely using them before 2012 when Navteq was re-named to HERE, there are two main map supplies for satnav maps, they are HERE (Navteq) and TeleAtlas, the latter supplies Tomtom products

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 27, 2022
Ask a Question