DriveSmart 86 - Satellite Issues

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by DarkAbyss, Jan 1, 2022.

1. DarkAbyss

DarkAbyss

I have a Garmin DriveSmart 86 with the latest software updates. The device takes 15 minutes or so to acquire satellite signals. I’ve cycled the power and had the same issue.

My Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX GPS in the other vehicle never has any issues.

In my area we don’t have cell towers, so I need an independent GPS when traveling. Any thoughts on how to improve the Garmin, or should I return it and get something else?

DarkAbyss, Jan 1, 2022
  2. DarkAbyss

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You don't say how old your Drivesmart 86 is or whether it used to get a 'fix' quicker in the past, but a normally working unit should not take 15 mins. I would place both GPSs in the same vehicle and compare 'fix' times from turn on, this is because some vehicles block GPS signals due to the front windcreen having metal heating elements in them, if the 86 really is 10 times slower when in the same vehicle I would say it is faulty and a replacement 86 will be quicker, if it is still under warranty ask for a replacement

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 1, 2022
Ask a Question